Saturday, 24 October 2009

Travellers Impressions: Colour

Well hello everyone, it's been a while....

I'm back from my couple of weeks on the east coast of the USA with a head full of impressions and a bag full of yarn! Unusually circumstances pretty much prevented almost all internet contact which means that I have so much to talk about that I have been at a loss as to how to share the best of my experiences with you in a coherent manner. Having looked through the hundreds of photos that I have taken - yes, I did make sure my camera was a constant companion this time - I have decided to concentrate on themes rather than try to give a day by day travelogue.

Given that I was travelling in the middle of autumn, or fall, the first theme that my camera led me to is colour.

I have to say that everything that I have been told about the magnificence of the colours in this part of the country at this time of year is, in my brief experience true. Starting my travels in the south it was wonderful to see how as I travelled north through Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New York State how the colours became more and more wildly intense.

The light at this time of year is also wonderfully golden adding an intensity to the colours whether you look up through the canopy...

....or focus in on a single plant.

Even on an overcast day the colours sing.

But against a clear blue sky they are simply magnificent.



Even in the built environment colour takes on a new intensity as this image of the Library at Columbia University in New York City shows.


Crafts people are not immune to the influence of the shades of autumn. Everywhere I looked, people were decorating their houses with bright orange pumpkins in advance of the holiday season. However,none were as beautiful as these works of art made by the pumpkin carver at the Sheep and Wool festival at Rhinebeck.


Autumnal themes were very much on the minds of the yarn stall holders as well - look at this amazing array of autumnal shades in this yarn display.


I also realised that I am by no means immune to these influences. We paid a visit to Loop, a beautiful yarn shop in Philadelphia where I found a book of beginners crochet patterns and with my friend Laura's help chose a pattern for washcloths and some lovely Blue Skies organic cotton to make them with. The shades I was drawn to are very much in keeping with the warm tones of the season. Thanks to Laura's patient assistance I am proud to say that I have now followed my first crochet pattern!

The colours are also beautifully picked up in the sock that I took with me as a travel project.

That's all for now - thanks to everyone for their good wishes for my trip - I really did have a wonderful time. Also, a quick hello to any readers of Let's Knit magazine who are visiting for the first time - things aren't usually as chaotic (well, not quite...)
I'll be back very soon and am thinking about telling you about the wild (and not so wild) life next time...

8 comments:

Rani said...

I love your photos! What a fantastic trip - the colors are amazing. I can't believe that sheep pumpkin. That's amazing.

And your crochet is inspiring. Maybe . . . just maybe I'll try it again. It's so ... vintage . . . very cool.


GORGEOUS SOCK!

Rose Red said...

Great photos. We just don't get autumn colour like that here.

Those pumpkins are amazing! And go you on the crochet! It's a great skill to have I think!

Linda said...

I love your post, the colours are great and the pumpkins! I don't think that mine will be as good as them!

RooKnits said...

Fabulous colours - those pumpkins - amazing!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

those pumpkins are amazing!
It sounds like you had a fab trip

mildawg said...

What an inspirational post. I am normally a fan of winter hues (grays, blues, silvers...), but something about the warmth and richness of fall tones always appeals to me.
I can't decide which photo is my favorite.

kaet said...

All gorgeous, of course. Can we see the stitch pattern on the crochet, please? I can't see enough in that picture to tell properly, but it looks like something pretty!

Anni said...

Gorgeous colours. Love your crochet and sock. I've just learnt to crochet and I'm trying to read a pattern to crochet a scarf.