Friday, 2 October 2009

Big wheel keeps on turning...

And little ones do too - Little Gem's to be precise.

You could be forgiven for thinking that I had abandoned my spinning in favour of instant gratification scarfage projects but I'm sure you will be reassured to know that I do find time for a bit of a spin every day - even if it is only ten minutes.

On the bobbin at the moment is some lovely grey merino over dyed in shades of green by The Thylacine. I love naturally coloured roving over dyed as it gives such a sophisticated depth to the colours. It is also lovely when, as in this case, some of the natural colour is allowed to show through. The name of this colourway is Temperate Rainforest, which perfectly describes and evokes the part of Australia in the Strezlecki Ranges that I spend as much of my time in as possible. It's spring there now which makes me miss it very much right now but, I have exciting travel news of a different kind which I will tell you about later.

I have 200g of this roving and am spinning it reasonably finely for me and am stripping it into finger sized pieces to give reasonably sized but not massive colour repeats. I will be making a two ply yarn so am hoping for a gently variegated heathered effect with some but not too obvious striping to make a lacy shoulder shawl to feed my current obsession.

Most recently off the bobbins is this yarn spun from Lime Green Jelly's Merino, Cashmere and Silk roving in the Queen of Hearts shade. As you can see, it has some of my usual spinning inconsistencies but it is the most beautifully soft yarn you can imagine. I'm planning to make myself a rather Gothic pair of extended Cranfords with it.
And finally, I have a finished object for you - yes, with great perseverance I have finished the Skinny Lace Rib scarf in Yarn Yard Caber in the Sea Glass shade. Despite the fact that at some points I believed that I was actually knitting from a loop and the ball of yarn really did not have an end I finally regained my faith in the laws of physics and finished the scarf last night. I have decided not to block it as I like the texture as it is and it wraps twice around my neck very comfortably. The stitch pattern I used is the enigmatically titled Number 41 from Susanna Lewis's Knitting Lace which is extremely simple and easy to memorise and read..

The back of the scarf is also quite decorative.

And I nearly forgot -my travel plans. I'm off to see my dad on the Isle of Wight at the weekend for a couple of days of lazy chatting and knitting but this time next week I will be in America, starting in New York, travelling down through Pennsylvania to Philadelphia, back up to Massachusetts, and into New York State to the Dutchess County Showgrounds for the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival!

How excited do you think I am?

18 comments:

Rose Red said...

Your spinning is lovely - gorgeous colours!

But, oh, Rhinebeck! I'm so envious! How wonderful!

Pom Pom said...

Beautiful! Oh, why don't I pick up the sticks? Your handiwork is wonderful!

LynS said...

The colours of your 'Temperate Rainforest' spinning are absolutely evocative of eucalypts. Lovely.

I love the itinerary for your US trip - is it too late for lots of autumn colours?

Jo said...

Oh Jane you lucky thing....I'm pretty sure Bigsock is on it's way to Rhinebeck, do make sure you make your mark! Great spinning. My Little Gem has been turning double time!

knit nurse said...

All sounds very exciting, you know how I love the Isle of Wight especially... looking forward to reading about your adventures!

Katie said...

I am so incredibly jealous!

Linda said...

Rhinebeck! Have a great time. Its nice to see your spinning. I am obsessed with spinnning at the mo!

Judy said...

don't forget your knitting cotton

stash haus said...

Your spinning is lovely.

How I envy you your trip to Rhinebeck. One year I shall get there. Have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Love the yarn colors you have chosen for your next Cranfords. I have some C. mitts ready for Christmas giving made while I was sick this summer. I used two circulars and I kept forgetting what pattern I was on when I got to the second needle....distracted mind came from the unhelpful medicine. That is behind me now and I am pleased to have the mitts for gifts along with a copy of the book. Am I right that there will be more episodes to look forward to during the winter? Margot of VA

Hannah said...

Wow! I'm thrilled skinny for you, what a terrific journey you're going on! I do envy you, all of it, but most particularly the visit to Rhinebeck.

beanz said...

What lovely yarns you are producing.

knittingtastic said...

Very!!

Have a brilliant time on all your travels

RooKnits said...

Have a fabulous time Jane

mildawg said...

The scarf looks lovely (unblocked - good decision) and I am jealous of your fibers.

Ice Princess said...

Have a wonderful trip!!

Gorgeous yarns !!!!

missfee said...

oooo looking at the bobbin I just want to spin now - hope you ahve a great trip

Ellen said...

Have a great trip, looking forward to reading all about it