Sunday, 27 September 2009

I want them all and I want them now!

It really has been a beautiful September in my little part of the world,day after day of bright sunshine but with the added tang in the air that makes such a change from the humid torpor of London in midsummer. It may be telling me that autumn is just around the corner but right now stepping outside the door into a fresh bright morning makes you feel alive and happy and full of optimism.

Another great thing about this time of year is that it gives me a chance to break out all those little scarves and wraps that I have knitted, just as a small something to keep the morning chill off my neck. The Flutter Scarf has made an appearance and so have Lady Eleanor and one of the Clapotis but do you know what? I just haven't got enough scarves! I need a whole rainbow of silky, flirty little neck pieces to see me through the change of season. It shouldn't take me too long, right?

Wearing my Flutter Scarf, which I spindle spun from Merino Tencel fibre convinced me that it is the perfect fibre for this time of year so I had a good rummage through my stash and came up with a skein of Yarn Yard Caber in a beautiful shade called Sea Glass which I thought would make a lovely scarf. Armed with some helpful suggestions from friends on Ravelry I hunted around for a suitable pattern but nothing really appealed. I did download a pattern from a well known designer and was a little horrified to see that I had just paid $5 for a pattern lifted straight out of a stitch dictionary which once I had started knitting it just didn't have the rhythm I need to be able to quickly memorise it for train knitting. I then had a bit of a light bulb moment and realised that the best thing to do was to get the stitch dictionaries out myself and find something more to my taste.

This simple lace rib was just what I was looking for so I started knitting, and knitting, and knitting.....

I've been knitting on this for most of the week and I still have this stubborn little ball of yarn which refuses to get any smaller.... Of course, it doesn't help when all attempts at project monogamy fail. Last week I had a meeting in central London and was feeling very pleased with myself in black dress, heels and brown Clapotis thrown carelessly around my shoulders. I clip clopped into John Lewis on my way home thinking that I need a new handbag but of course the only ones I liked were way beyond my price range so I took a little detour to the yarn department. Instead of a new handbag I took home six balls of Noro Silk Garden and two of Kid Silk Haze.Ho hum...

At least I have already cast on with the Silk Garden. This rather uninteresting piece of fabric is another Clapotis. Yes, I know that in the world of the knitter they are so last year darling, but in my little world of finding nice, simple, stylish things to wear I can't get enough of them and a warm red autumnal one will be perfect.

Of course I won't get bored half way through again....

And if that wasn't enough look at this little beauty - a cone of wool silk lace weight that I bought from the crazy Belgians at the Iknit weekender.
And no, this isn't a topographical map of the Gobi desert, it's the beginnings of another Leaf Lace Shawl. The yarn is a lot fluffier and fuller than it looks compressed on the cone so I think it will make a lovely warm shawlette with a good bloom on it.

All three of these scarves would be perfect for wearing on these crisp bright sunny mornings but have I finished any of them - of course not!
In my defense, however, before I was seized by scarf mania and abandoned every other work in progress I did finish, you'll never guess - yes, another pair of socks....
Plain top down socks from my own recipe in Indie Dyer Sock Yarn which I think has produced a rather handsome sock.
Here is a closeup of the fabric - the yarn is nice to work with and the colour combination is muted and sophisticated. I'd happily use it again.

Anyway, I have to go - scarves to knit!

12 comments:

Rose Red said...

I love a plain sock for pretty yarn - let the yarn do all the talking!

I almost bought a pattern from a Well-Known Designer too - until I realised it was just a stitch pattern, with nothing more. I found a free version of it online and used that instead.

I agree, you can never have too many scarves (and I'm a big clapotis fan too - such a versatile scarf!)

Pom Pom said...

You have more yarn, available in more locations than we do. Sigh.
Your projects are awesome! You are a pro, Jane!

Puddytat purr said...

Clapotis may be so last year Dahling, but I'm knitting my first and out of handspun, no less.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it :0)

mildawg said...

Wow! I think the Noro clapotis will look fantastic.
As for the scarf, it's looking great. I believe you picked a perfect stich pattern.
Loving the socks!

LynS said...

We've had an outbreak of shawl flu (not my coinage, unfortunately) this winter in Sydney. The small shawls that are so popular just now have been perfect for a Sydney winter. They warm your shoulders, enable you to dress up an otherwise unremarkable outfit, are not stiflingly warm, and are beautiful. I absolutely understand the contagious effect!

beanz said...

I too love the sock yarn, very pretty.
I am sorry to hear the clapotis is so last year - I too am about to embark on my first.
And I love the stich for the scarf too.
In fact you are an all round heroine :>)

beanz said...

too many toos there, sorry

Rosie said...

Love the socks and the scarf looks really sophisticated. And I know all about the perils of handbag-hunting in John Lewis: went into the Cambridge branch, discovered I couldn't afford the bags I liked so emerged with yarn. btw, I finally found a bag I liked (at a price I liked) in Jones.

Mrs J said...

What a fantastic array of knitting! All fab!

knittingtastic said...

You can never have too many shawls or scraves...keep casting them on!

Re. the designer (I think I know who you are talking about) and her blatant use of stitch dictionaries and lack of actual design I think that she is ripping off knitters left, right and centre. I am glad you have raised this.

Happy scarfing!

Linda said...

I love your yarn and pattern choices. Scarves are fab and it would be lovely to have one for every day of the winter!

Anni said...

Love the new silver scarf. It looks gorgeous. I've got a skein of merino/tencel saved up and I was thinking of a scarf of some sort and seeing yours has made me want to start knitting it this weekend. And I've got a couple of things off the needles this week so I could cast on for something new....

I must be the only one who's yet to knit a Clapotis. I've got the pattern and have thought about it lots of times, just never gotten around to it. Love the socks.