Sunday, 6 September 2009

Fortune comes in threes

As promised, today's post not only contains actual knitting content made by moi, but not one, not two but three finished items (pause for fanfares and ringing of bells).

Unsurprisingly, all three are pairs of socks as of course, there still aren't enough pairs of handmade socks in the world.

First up is a pair of mansocks in Regian Kaffe Fassett knit to my usual top down sock recipe. This is the second time I have used this yarn and am once again very impressed with it in terms of machine processed yarn at a reasonable price. I like the colour combination, placement and balance of small and large lengths of colour which take it out of the ordinary.


Secondly, here is a pair of socks which have languished for some time - Cookie A's Kai-Mei socks in Knitwitch's Blue Faced Leicester sock yarn which I bought at a bargain price at the Woolfest before last. This pattern combined quite a lot of unchallenging ribbing with an eccentric and fun to knit diagonal motif. Whilst I thoroughly recommend this yarn for being wonderfully soft I did wonder whether something a little more tightly spun like Wollmeise or Yarn Yard Clan might be a better choice for this pattern as the motifs expose quite a lot of single strands in the detailing and might look better if they were a little more robust.

I couldn't help but get my sock lasts out again as they show off the matching motifs very well and make them look terribly elegant. Finally, it was no hardship at all to finish Wendy Johnson's Riding on the Metro Socks in the Yarn Yard's latest addition now known as Clan. This yarn isn't available for another two weeks and I can't wait to get my hands on some more. Whilst the colour isn't one that I would normally choose, it is very good for showing off the intricate lozenge pattern on the socks. This yarn is very tightly spun so any pattern stitches stand out in great relief. I would advise against anything too highly patterned or full of twists, especially in the foot area as they might become uncomfortable. Come to think of it - might have been better to use the Knitwitches for this project and the Clan for the Kai-Meis!

Once again the sock lasts show off the patterning in a very feminine way - if only my own feet were as elegant.

And finally, you didn't really expect me to be out in the garden with a pair of feet and a camera under my arm and not get up to more mischief?
Look what I found! A man eating plant!

Exciting news to follow - not only have I finished another item but the Yarn Archive is expecting a very special visitor!

12 comments:

Paula said...

Lovely socks Jane

Pom Pom said...

Wow, Jane! Your socks are perfect - so inspiring! I am still struggling with socks. My last sock looked like something Braveheart would wear. Your socks are so smart and lovely! You are right on the mark when you say we need more hand knit socks in the world. We do! About 15 years ago, I was trying socks for the first time (yeah, it's been a long journey) and a lady said, "You can buy those at the store, you know." Funny . . . NOT! Something a nonknitter would say, don't you think?

LynS said...

Your socks - as always - are inspirational. I love the diversity of this lot. And I particularly liked your comments on which yarns suited which patterns and why. Most useful.

knit nurse said...

Lovely socks. I totally concur about the Kaffe Fasset sock yarn, and funny enough I just bought Cookie A's book and decided that Kai Mei would be the first pattern to try! Great minds and all that ;-)

LittleBerry said...

lovely selection of socks in different yarns and patterns....

I love that lost sock shot though I can just imagine the person diving into the plant...

Jenny said...

Fantastic sock selection.

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

gorgeous socks, although I'm a bit worried about your garden though- what have you been feeding the plants with? postmen??

Panhandle Jane said...

Those are indeed lovely socks! I am impressed. And of course there are not enough handknit socks in the world! I definitely need more in my sock drawer!

Linda said...

My favourites are the Kai mai ones, they are all nice though!

Rani said...

HAHAHAAAA! I love that last picture! If that person was being eaten by the plant, I'd be sure pull those socks off as they went.

Love all the photos and the GORGEOUS socks!!

mildawg said...

They all look fantastic, but the green ones are my favorite

Jenny said...

Jane, your socks are truly beautiful, and an inspiration to us all!