Monday, 3 August 2009

Lurking within tent

Just in case anyone thought I had abandoned my stash and taken to a life on the open road after Camp Bestival, I'm back, vowing eternal love for my duvet and hot running water. I did have a fabulous time and as usual completely failed to capture most of it on film. Here, however is a small taster. This is the I Knit tent where we spent two days teaching people of all ages how to knit and finger knit.

The tent was packed most of the time. I think parents thought we were some sort of magicians as by teaching a very simple technique to make strings and strings of.....knitting from old scraps of yarn, their children were happily mesmerised for hours. You could hear the grateful sighs as they sank into our big comfy sofas.

For us, as people enthusiastic to share our love of the fibre arts it was a good opportunity to share what we know and to show people that children don't always need the latest gadget, and that they really enjoy making stuff. It was a real pleasure to work with them but also exhausting. The weather held good for most of the weekend but this was my favourite part of the day - the view from our tent before the crowds were let in first thing in the morning.

And here was my knitting spot.
As with any festival, you never know who is going to appear next. The Ladies of the Lawn dropped by to give us a few acapella numbers. Lithium by Nirvana was my favourite.

The clouds gathered on Sunday afternoon and after an insanely long train journey and missing the last tube train home I sank blissfully into my duvet and reflected on the simple pleasures of life....
Despite all this excitement, knitting has to go on! I have finished my On Hold socks. I am quite pleased with the way they have come out. They are made in a wool and silk blend by Posh Yarns which I think suits the pattern very well. They have a lovely sheen and texture.
Here is the customary blocker shot.


Here they are on the lasts which really shows off the scroll pattern running down the front of the foot.

And finally, I am still enjoying playing with my new toys and camera even though some people may find my interpretations a little..... creepy....

Surely this one is alright?



This one? Maybe less so....

What do you think?

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

Looks like a fabulous weekend! And I love the sock shots!

LynS said...

I'm just envious of the elegance of the shape of your foot lasts - wouldn't it be lovely to have feet shaped like that? And I do like the pink socks with their centred front pattern.

LittleBerry said...

I personally love the quirky sock shots, especially the ones were you can't see the top of the socks.. that bit I don't like were the socks are all frilly...

Nice socks too :o)

Mise said...

I can see a worldwide knitting craze coming on, where rock stars have to ask the audiences to please not click their needles quite so loudly as they are drowning out the music.

m1k1 said...

I think "lurking within tent" has to get marks for the best post title I've read this week. Love it when they make me laugh out loud.

Panhandle Jane said...

What an interesting weekend! I love the socks and the sock blockers? Are those hedgehogs? I'm from Texas, so my first thought was rather spiky armadillos.

Hat said...

Love the photo shots of the pink socks - especially the last one. I've been worrying that the w&ts on my Diagonal Lace Sock heels haven't been done correctly but they look much like yours so I must be on the right lines. I'm also envious of your foot lasts. They don't have bunions!