Saturday, 15 August 2009

Exclusive! Knitter P/hopping on the Plinth!

One more nail in the coffin of the idea that knitting is something that ladies of a certain age do behind closed doors.Knitters are out and about and doing amazing things!

Today Rooknits joined the ranks of knitters who have taken part in the One and Other project inspired by Anthony Gormley where over four months, 2400 people take turns in spending an hour on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square. Roo chose to spend her hour knitting a blanket square and building awareness for the P/Hop project where knitters share their skills, knowledge and stuff to raise funds for Medecins Sans Frontieres who take desperately needed medical care to people in the direst of circumstances.

Here's Roo, on the plinth, also building desperately needed awareness for Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club....

This photo gives a sense of the scale of the setting. You might be surprised to know that I also volunteered (unsuccessfully so far) for the project but having seen this shot I have a nasty feeling my vertigo would kick in and I would spend the hour clinging to the edge!

Of course, these days where you find one knitter in public you are likely to find a whole crowd more so here are a few of the group of supporters who roused themselves from their beds at such an unearthly hour on a Saturday morning for the occasion. It was great to see Pete, P/Hop's legendary sponsored knitter and my star pupil making such good progress on his Arsenal scarf. Will he get to wear it this season? His exciting news is that he has been sponsored a further $500 to learn to knit a sock. His generous donor will, I hope be delighted to hear that I gave him his first mini tutorial at the foot of the plinth. If you watch the footage of Roo's hour of fame you can just make us out.... thanks to my yellow cardi!

I had no idea that the cameras strayed onto the surrounding area so it was alarming but gratifying to receive text messages from friends saying 'Nice cardi!' I told you that in the hands of a better photographer it was far less of a shapeless lump!
How could the camera not stray onto this group of happy knitters?


No man was safe from being drawn into the mysterious world of the knitter. Steve will have needles in his hand before he knows what has hit him!

And here's Roo being brought safely down to earth. She did us proud!


And here are some of the blanket squares that supporters have been knitting ready to be sewn together int a beautiful blanket which will be raffled at the IKnit day next month to raise funds for MSF. It is shaping up to be a very beautiful and well traveled piece!


Never a dull moment when you're a knitter!

9 comments:

Aknita said...

It was wonderful to watch you all this morning. I was waving from the kitchen table knitting a p/hop square with you all, and saying "there's Lou" or "look, there's Jane" or "is that Ruth's mum?" and other such nonsense!

Believe you me, Wolverhampton Wonderers need all the support they can get ;)

picperfic said...

Hi Jane...wow at those shoes and yum at your cardi!! I watched Ruth eventually, I set an alarm on my phone but promptly slept through it! All that dancing at a Boyzone Gig took it's toll on my poor old bod last night hahah

Did you wear those shoes in London? I would be walking like Dick Emery in them! lol

beanz said...

I too signed up and then was relieved I didn't get a place when I watcher the knitters up there!

RooKnits said...

Thank you so much for coming and for the lovely report on the proceedings. I had a ball...

Bells said...

oh thanks for this! I've been listening to Brenda D talk about this on Cast On. So cool to see how it looks!

Lucy said...

Hi Jane - It's a long time since I visited your blog and it is looking very swish!! Those shoes of yours are amazing - I think I would be walking like Dick Emery in them as well!!Are you actually crocheting these days? I am hoping (and I have been saying this for about a year now!!) to start on some crocheted Amigurumi toys before Christmas!!

Cheers Lucy

Knitting Out Loud said...

What a wonderful story and photos!

CCK said...

Jane - thanks for the report, it was good to see Ruth and all of you at the base of the Plinth, knitting away. You look great in your yellow cardi, we must see more modeled pics in the future!

annmarie said...

I've been hearing so much about the plinth project - thanks for these photos. It looks like a lot of fun. :)