Sunday, 19 July 2009

Hanging around at the back of the pack

I knew it was a little ambitious to sign up for the Tour De Fleece and the Tour de Knitalong and I'm sad to report that progress has been pedestrian at best, but what the heck,if you cover the ground at a leisurely pace you get to enjoy the sights sounds and smells of your surroundings. Knitting and spinning are both such sensual pursuits, so lets luxuriate in the slow but steady progress and enjoy.

First off, spinning. Who wouldn't want to dawdle over this beautiful Blue Faced Leicester and silk roving from our very own Marianne of Picperfic fame. This fibre is so typical of Marianne's style - pretty, feminine shades which let the natural beauty of the roving come through. If she makes any more like this I'll race you to her shop.



As I am still a baby spinner I like to predraft my fibre well in advance. Look how the colours become transparent and delicate as the roving is eased apart.
I'm planning to make myself my very own pair of Cranford Mittens with this yarn so I didn't want to have such a firm twist as my usual sock yarn style yarn. I think I've managed to keep the bounce.

And as we're in no particular hurry, here is another shot of how the colours blend and merge. Lovely stuff.

Ambling gently over to the Tour De Knitalong I give you my entry for the (ahem..) Green jersey. A nice plain and simple top down v necked jumper in my favourite spring/ summer yarn, Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool. Incidentally I have finished the yellow cardigan but it needs re blocking as I made the bottom edge too flippy - I'll show you it very soon as other than that it is rather gorgeous in a 1950's secretary sort of way..
Moving back to the task in hand,I think I've made reasonable progress but I've been pedalling at a dreadfully slow pace since I left the mountain stage (ie the raglans).

The yarn is a gorgeous blue grey with a lovely slubby texture.

And knits up into a lovely, drapy fabric.



But I still feel I'm cycling across sand....
But there is good news! I have finished the Baktus scarf. I had pretty much finished it on the journey to and from Woolfest but of course I only sewed the ends in yesterday. This project involved a major false start as I knitted a good third of it on 3mm needles before accepting the fact that it had all the drape of an oven glove. This is the first time I have knitted with Noro Silk Garden Sock and found it to be much ticker than Noro Kureyon Sock, hence the needle error.
I like the colour combination - it reminds me of the light you get over summer fields at the edge of a storm.

The fabric now drapes well and the scarf is a useful length.



Now where did I put my bicycle clips.

10 comments:

Knitting Out Loud said...

Lovely! Where did you find the pattern for the jersey? I found the pattern for the Baktus scarf.

sussexyorkie said...

Lovely knitting, I'll join you at the back of the pack for coffee. My progress is in reverse if thats possible!

LittleBerry said...

Lovely progress... The handpsun looks lovely :o) You seem to be making good progress on the knitting front too from where I'm sitting...

Katie said...

I'll keep you company, like you I'm on go slow with the knitting and spinning right now. I did get some red Teeside plyed last night though.

dreamcatcher said...

The fibre is gorgeous both pre and post spinning. Love the shades in the Baktus, Noro are probably my favourite yarns.

Anni said...

Gorgeous spinning and love your Baktus.

Lou said...

I'm definitely with you at the back of the pack for spinning. I need to get pedalling! I really love your finished yarn there though. I haven't been doing very much pre-drafting - maybe I should!

Linda said...

It all looks great to me! I am desperately trying to resist Marianes shop as the fibres look lovely.

littlelixie said...

Very brave to join both challenges. Just dropped by to say how much I really really really love your bracket fungus pattern. Making another pair - in the round this time. My first are still my favourite socks.

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

magnifique!
I hope you're not doing any of this while watching the coverage- I cna hardly breathe watching the cyclists go up the Alps!