Thursday, 4 June 2009

The tedium of virtue

Well, another week has slipped by and I have been thinking about potential blog posts for several days and come up empty. I've certainly been knitting determinedly and trenchantly but have neither started or finished a project which doesn't exactly make the most riveting blog fodder.

I'll show you what I mean. Here are the Ribbed Ribbons socks. Since we last spoke I have nearly got up to the end of the gusset expansion. Please,please, no stamping and cheering.

I have nearly finished the body of the top down yellow cardigan. I have made this pattern several times and somehow in the excitement of starting a new project I can get myself to the point of dividing for the sleeves in the blink of an eye. Then the endless tundra of stocking stitch stretching from armpit to arse unfolds itself and I feel like I'm plodding through sand. I was half hoping that I would finish this in time to wear at Ravelry Day but despite carting it back and forth to work several times to take advantage of travel knitting time I have to accept that there's no way, even if I stay up all night that it will be done in time. Here, as evidence in my defence is the much expanded article.

And as for the lace. I'm sure it has also managed to get itself into that wrinkle in the space time continuum such that the rows are becoming hundreds of stitches long....

but the ball of yarn isn't getting any smaller... Hot on the heels of this conundrum come all the usual newbie lace weight users anxieties. How big is the shawl now? How big do I want it to be? How gently must I block cashmere?


You see what I mean? Hardly news to hold the front page for. However, I do have other things to tell you. I'm teaching a range of sock knitting classes over at IKnit on Sundays throughout the summer. There's a beginner's top down sock course, a toe up course for the more adventurous and then a couple of fun one off classes , one on adding colour to your small projects and one with tips on how to get started on designing your own socks. I usually have great fun (don't know about anyone else) and have met some fabulous people who have gone on to do some beautiful work so it would be lovely to see some of you there.
I'm saving my best news till last. News that made me blush to the tips of my ears. Natalie at the Yarn Yard has named one of the colours in her gorgeous Summer Collection after me! It's one of my favourite shades of green and it's absolutely beautiful. Thank you,Natalie. There will be a laceweight too and we have some plans for it that we hope to be able to show you at Woolfest but I can't say any more because it's a secret!

In the meantime here are a few gratuitous shots of some of Natalie's lace wight yarns which might just have happened to fall into my shopping cart. This is Mist, temporarily discontinued and terrifyingly fine.

And my personal favourite, Gloaming, a heavier lace weight in a merino and silk blend.

As I mentioned previously I am coming to the Ravelry Day in Coventry tomorrow (Saturday) and will have my Ravelry name (probablyjane) badge on so please come over and say hello if I don't pounce on you first!

16 comments:

Jenny said...

Actually you had lots to tell us, you've been really busy. You must buy the opposite type of yarn to me, I always seem to be running out and knitting like crazy to make sure I have enough. Love the shawl, do let us know how you block it as I've just got myself a similar yarn which hopefully will be a never ending ball like yours.

RooKnits said...

The ball of Zephyr for my wedding shawl is seemingly endless too!
I love the yellow cardigan. See you tomorrow :o)

Puddytat purr said...

After having the Yarn Harlot follow me on twitter, my new aim in life is to have a yarn named after me.

Naturally it would have to have purple and black in it ;)

I'll be at Rav Day tomorrow too, so I hope I'll see you there.

Alas, I don't have a Ravelry badge, maybe I should order one for iKnit :S

Ice Princess said...

Wow and you thought you had nothing to say?? You had loads to say. Everything looks lovely as usual, I really am loving the yellow Cardigan :O) Beautiful yarn as well.:O)

LittleBerry said...

Beautiful knitting.... The shawl will be just the right size when it's bocked ;o)

Lol said...

Hi, what is your Ravelry name? I've been enjoying your blog for a while now and it would be great to say hi tomorrow.

Linda said...

The classes sound great and well done for having the yarn named after you! Have a great time tommorrow.

Mandella said...

Sounds to me like there's lots of great stuff going on in your knitting world. I'm just about to warp the space/time continuum of dividing off sleeves too. Thank goodness my project is just a baby cardigan - but it is 4-ply.

tea and cake said...

Woo, hoo! on the 'probably jane' yarn colour - and, have a wonderful day tomorrow.

blog-blethers said...

What beautiful WIPS! The socks are goreous and I love your new cardigan. It's such an elegant style.

Have a wonderful time at the UK Ravelry day and look forward to hearing all about it.

littlesliceoflife said...

You're really wanting me to give knitting another go! Hope Ravelry Day went well.

Bells said...

oh see I think there was some lovely blog fodder there. In progress posts are nice because it gives us an insight into common and not so common thought processes!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

How wonderful to have a colour named after you!
I've very taken with the Ribbed ribbons socks, and although I'm not a shawl wearer I would make an exception for that vision in pink cashmere. It is going to be stunning!

Mrs J said...

All wonderful! I am really sorry that I can't make it too Woolfest this year to see these colours for myself! fab though.

Kathy said...

Your yellow cardi looks like it is coming along! My knitting has languished for the better part of the last year. I feel like I never get much done, but lately things have been picking up. I love my knitting time.

Anni said...

Gorgeous knits. Love the look of the lace. I always block my shawls quite severely and my Luscious Lace and Amazing Cashmere Lace yarns are quite delicate but can still take heavyhanded blocking. Good luck with it.