Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Wendy is my new BFF

No surprises here.I am still in the grip of my Wendy Johnson's Socks from the Toe Up obsession. I have taken a long time to convince that the toe up method, magic loop and 2mm needles are for me but these are some of the most technically competent socks I have knitted for ages. They fit, have no annoying holes in the heel flaps, have a totally seamless toe and are really quite pretty!

Let me show you how I've been getting on.

Here is one and a half Trilobites.

A whole lace and cable.

Plus a toe. Feast your eyes on that cast on....
And yes,of course I've sneakily cast on another one from the book. It's Ribbed Ribbons in Yarn Yard Toddy Semi Solid in a shade called Berry Stained Fingers and it might be my favourite so far. I am very pleased with this yarn. It's part of a new Summer Collection that Natalie has brought out that will be available all the time. I've been experimenting with lots of semi solid yarns recently and whilst they are lovely, a lot seem to consist of the same dye shade at different dilutions whilst this blends two distinctly different shades to form a heathery yarn with lots of movement.

Can you blame me for casting on?
My toe up circus will be decamping to the Isle of Wight for a few days while Dad has his pacemaker replaced. It goes without saying that a few more skeins may find their way into my bag....

11 comments:

stash haus said...

Lovely, lovely socks.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery after surgery to your dad!

SJ2B said...

I've had this book ordered and can't wait for it even more now. I'll have to be patient tho as things take a little bit longer to get to me out here.

Love the blog and best wishes to your dad.

RooKnits said...

Lovely, lovely socks. Hope everything goes ok with your dad.

Roobeedoo said...

Ooh yes lovely socks! So you are using 2mms and they are OK? All the best to your dad.

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

they look fab,fab, fab
hope your dad's surgery goes well

Jane said...

Love the toe-up method and your yarn colours look wonderful. Hope all goes well in the IoW.

knit nurse said...

Once the toe-up bug bites it's hard to go back to anything else! I like to do a few top downs now and again though, just to reassure myself that I can!

Lin said...

I hope your Dad gets on OK with the op. That YY yarn is gorgeous, I like solid and semi-solid yarns best for socks.

theyarnyard said...

Are you knitting into the front and back to do the increases on the heel gusset slanty bit?
- Or is there some other secret method I need to know about?

I have NOTHING OTN at the moment so I have itchy needles.

WendyKnits said...

Wow, you are really on a roll with your socks. I'm so pleased that you like the book enough to knit multiple patterns from it!

picperfic said...

beautiful socks....hope Dad is ok...