Tuesday, 28 April 2009

From the tips of my toes...

Well, Ishbel is finished and blocked. What everyone says is true -the magic is in the blocking - the fabric is just so beautiful, light and ethereal and like a whisper.

The scarf weighs almost nothing and is more about its absences than its presence.
It is a little smaller than I had hoped but will make a lovely little neckerchief. My next piece of lace will be bigger!
In other knitting news I have a new book! It really is a good year for sock books. Hard on the heels (groan...) of Cookie A is this book by Wendy Johnson, devoted to socks from the toe up. Now my experience of toe up socks on circular needles is quite limited but I tried the free pattern from the book to great success.

As you can see I have thrown myself into the task with some abandon.



The yellow sock uses the Lace and Cables pattern and is knit in Indigo Moon sock yarn in the Apricot shade.

This is the pattern that runs down the instep.

The pink sock uses the Trilobite pattern and is knit in Hazel Knits Sock in Cabbage Rose.

Here is a detail of the pattern.

Anyone who has been counting will be aware that I have been casting on socks willy nilly, such that I have enough single socks on the needles to clothe a shivering centipede. In my defense, last Saturday I was teaching an advanced sock knitting class at Iknit so I wanted to make sure I had thoroughly practiced toe up techniques. Judy's Magic Cast On is a wonderful technique once you have mastered it but it's quite hard to get to grips with at first. I was very impressed with the skills and determination of my six students and hope that they go on to enjoy knitting socks from the toe up eventually!
So, now I have a fistful of socks in progress,half from the top down, half from the toe up. It's interesting to contrast the styles of the two designers. Cookie A's socks are knit from the top down with a flap and gusset construction with wildly intricate patterns while Wendy's socks are more delicate, restrained and traditional. I am having a wonderful time working my way between them, learning something new every day.
By the way, I may be an avid sock knitter but the weather is getting warmer and...

I've got some new shoes!

16 comments:

Tricia said...

Ha! Lovely socks, but I really love your shoes! So much that I bought them in purple! I bought them from Natural Shoe Store in Covent Garden and stood behind Whoopi Goldberg in the queue to pay!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the class on Saturday, I had to try the Magic Cast On, so I've also got more socks on the go than I really should. I had a really great afternoon and feel inspired to try every sock in Wendy Johnson's book!! Yours look terrific.
Christine (from IKnit)

LynS said...

Great post - as a relatively slow and not too dedicated sock knitter I was really interested in the comparisons and generalisations you can make after knitting such volumes of socks.

I've also fallen in love with Ishbel. I've found my kerchief sized woollen Ishbel very wearable, but have plans to start a larger one in some lovely pinky-red silk that a friend has dyed.

Rose Red said...

Love your shoes! And Ishbel is lovely - I need a light little travelling project for a trip I'm taking soon and I think this might be it!

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Oooooooooo, pretty things !!! I love your lace piece and the socks and the yarn ! Oh, and those shoes are to die for !

jacqueline said...

beautiful! i think you need to knit more lace.

Bells said...

So much to love here. Those shoes! SO cute!

Ishbel. God resistance is futile. I think I will cast her on almost as soon as I get the pattern.

Roobeedoo said...

I need more semi-solid yarn! I need green shoes! But most of all I need more time! Thanks for all that inspiration - I am halfway through the Dead Simple Lace socks and plotting my next pair from the book. Trilobite I think!

RooKnits said...

It looks like I might have to add Wendy's book to my birthday list. And maybe some green shoes too - they are fabulous!

Lin said...

Beautiful knitting Jnae. And I do love those shoes!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

Ishbel is fabulous! well done- and I love the new shoes too!

sussexyorkie said...

Ishbel looks beautiful but you've distracted me with the green shoes! I daren't look at the book.

kathryn said...

I love your Ishbel - it really is so light and lovely.

Jenny said...

Jane, I love your lace-----and your GREEN shoes!!!! :-)

Janey said...

Love the shoes!! Also the book looks interesting, I often only see these kinds of books on the net so its great to get a good review from someone you know has proper experience of all kinds of sock knittng, Thanks Love Janey xx

picperfic said...

I am trying to resist Cookie A's book, but I don't think it'll be too long before I buy it! I LOVE your shoes!