Saturday, 25 April 2009

Enchanted April

I can't believe it's nearly the end of April. I have to say that it's been a great month, plenty of sunshine, the garden coming back to life and for me, lots of gadding about. I spent Easter on the Isle of Wight with my family and got my niece and nephew so hooked on pompom making that we had enough for a decent pompom fight when Aunty Muriel came round...

I also spent last weekend in Paris, somewhere, despite me being pretty well travelled I have never been. It has been my loss, however as I have now officially fallen in love with the place. I was lucky to go with my friend Anne and meet her friend Enrica who lives there to really get an opportunity to see the best of Paris. Fabulous little places that are off the main tourist drag like the wonderful Stained glass windows of St Chapelle. It really was like being inside a kaleidoscope.

Decoration wasn't confined to the walls - look at the wonderful mosaics on the floor.
I loved the quirkiness of some of the things we saw, such as this row of likely lads parading around the outside of a building.

Or this perfectly executed ceramic cauliflower.


Even bits and pieces of builder's rubble made an interesting composition.

Of course we made the obligatory pilgrimage to La Droguerie and Le Comptoir, Paris's finest knitting shops. A little investment may have been made...
Choosing one's knitting projects for such a chic destination took special care. Firstly an elegant new project bag courtesy of Socktopus.

And some delicious slate grey silk and mohair lace weight from the Knitting Goddess.

Ishbel from Ysolda Teague seemed like a good idea for someone like me who hasn't done much knitting with yarn this fine.

I think I'm getting the hang of it..


Despite my flitting about, normal knitting has resumed. I have finished the hand spun Back to School Vest. I didn't have quite enough yarn to go round the armholes and sleeves as many times as the pattern specified but I am quite pleased with the slightly lighter look with a deeper U on this version. I still can't quite get over the fact that I spun this...

My enthusiasm for trying multiple Cookie A socks at one remains undiminished. I have now completed a whole Eunice and a whole Kai-Mei.

The second socks are well underway and I've done a reasonable amount of the cuff of Rick.


And here's a gratuitous shot of the stitch detail of Eunice in all her multi cabled glory.

Next time I'll show you how Ishbel is getting on and now that I've taken delivery of the new Wendy Johnson Toe Up Sock book I'll leave it to you to guess how many I have cast on...

13 comments:

tea and cake said...

gotta be three at least, betcha!

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Your photos are beautiful. I just completed the back-to-school vest myself. I love your socks and the color you've chosen for your Ishbel. Nice

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

Paris is a beautiful, facinating, exhilarating place- one visit is not enough! hope you go back, hope I do too!

theyarnyard said...

A new Wendy book?
Tell us more...

jacqueline said...

Knowing how well travelled you are...I was definitely surprised to hear that you hadn't made it to Paris until now.

It's beautiful isn't it? I can't wait to go back oneday.

Jen said...

Fantastic photos of Paris, love the floor tiles - those foxes eyeing the birds eggs. Never been, so a little jealous. And nice work on all your projets, partial to the handspun vest! great post!

Jen said...

Fantastic photos of Paris, love the floor tiles - those foxes eyeing the birds eggs. Never been, so a little jealous. And nice work on all your projets, partial to the handspun vest! great post!

Cornflower said...

I haven't been to Paris for years, but would see it now (much as you have done) with a fresh eye, I think.
Thanks for all these splendid pictures.

Cornflower said...

PS. And the knitting, too, of course!

Rose Red said...

I loved Saint Chapelle, I wish I could go back to Paris.

I started a Cauchy on the weekend. I'm very tempted by your idea of doing multiples at once, but I've got too many wips as it is.

And your handspun vest looks fantastic - you are very clever.

sussexyorkie said...

Lovely, lovely photos. I can only imagine how many socks you have s=cast on, I have had to hide that book! Still love the CTH and Eunice.

Anni said...

Love the handspun vest. that's one of my goals over the summer - to spin enough to knit a garment. Gorgeous socks too.

Anni said...

Love the handspun vest. that's one of my goals over the summer - to spin enough to knit a garment. Gorgeous socks too.