Monday, 30 March 2009

Wheel's on Fire

Believe it or not, apart from a few odd metres left on the bobbins, the Skipnorth batt has been spun. 460 grammes of dyed merino and silk spun to an average aran weight. This is possibly the largest and quickest bit of spinning that I have ever done and I'm surprised how pleased I am with the results. The yarn is slubby and rustic but much more gently and subtly variegated than I thought it might be. I have to say it was the easiest thing to spin. I let a little twist get into the batt and literally pulled the yarn out of the end of it. This meant that the slubs of silk were spun in a lot more evenly than if I had tried to exert more control over it. I think I have enough here to make a small ribbed vest.

Here is a photo of the two enormous skeins that the batt made.

and another gratuitous shot just because I think it's so pretty.

Now my bobbins are almost clear my thoughts turn to my next project. I know I've still got just under half of the Muddy Jeans sock yarn to finish spinning but that's a long term spinning project (oh the excuses...). The postman did bring the latest Yarn Yard fibre club offering so I'm thinking about doing something with that because it is one of my favourite colour combinations and so cheering for this time of the year.
One idea I have is to split the fibre up into mostly pink and mostly green and spin it separately so that I have two colours that go together but would make an interesting colour work project. The fibre is Texel which means that it's a slightly more hard wearing and durable fibre than something like merino but not so soft.
Regular readers will know that I am very fond of colour work, especially the idle girl's sort where there is no need to work with two strands at once. While we were at Skipnorth I had a chance to have a good look at this book and found that it contained some really interesting ideas and methods for working with colour.

I could make a pair of socks something like these....


Or maybe a hat and scarf set like this...


Looks like the wheel isn't going to get much rest!

9 comments:

celadon2 said...

Wheels on fire indeed. That yarn is beautiful, it deserves two photos.

tea and cake said...

That is gorgeous yarn, Jane, and will be lovely as a vest!

Wye Sue said...

OMG have you had any sleep ? I know I said batts were good to spin but....
Mine isn't even out of it's bag.. perhaps Morris needs an airing today ...

RooKnits said...

Wow! The yarn is beautiful Jane.

Knit Nurse said...

You will have to change your blog name!

Lin said...

Fabulous job on that batt! Knit it up soon so that we can see!

picperfic said...

I admired Heather's (you know Heather, Cybil on Rav?)enormous batt she got at Skipnorth. You are amazing, spinning so quickly....looks gorgeous too!

kathryn said...

Lovely yarn!! And that book looks very interesting.

theyarnyard said...

So you bought the book then?
I thought you might :)