Friday, 6 March 2009

Total project amnesty!

It's a beautiful day here in London and I am just getting ready to spend a long weekend with my dad on the Isle of Wight. It's the first proper break that I have had since Christmas, spring is definitely on the way so I am going to make a spree of it and treat it like a real holiday.

On real holidays normal rules don't apply so I am declaring total project amnesty on my knitting and taking all new projects with me, a bit like when you go off for your summer holiday with all new underwear (or is that just me?).Mind you, working with this total freedom has been a bit harder than I expected. I should have left the house hours ago but I stood next to all the plastic boxes that make up my wall o'yarn and was completely unable to make up my mind.I blame the yarn fumes...

Anyway, eventually I came to my senses and I chose these. Bear in mind I will be coming back on Monday but it wouldn't do to find myself short of yarn would it?

First is some Socks that Rock Mediumweight in one of the club colourways from the year before last. I love the way this yarn knits up but sometimes struggle to prevent pooling and flashing.

Then some Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Solids in Nantucket Red. This is 100% merino with a distinctive high twist which makes it very hard wearing.

And this is Apple Pie by Apple Laine (another of my standby favourites) which is a merino silk blend in a colour called Earthly Pleasures. The colour repeats are reasonably short on this yarn which makes it a versatile choice for simple patterns.

I am going to be using these yarns to try out these two new books. I'll be able to give you a proper review of them when I get back.
Just in case I find that I don't want to spend all my time on sock knitting (perish the thought) I have decided to take some hand spun that I made last year from this fibre bought at Woolfest. Bonkers bamboo and merino in the colour Pavoreal.

It was the first yarn I spun on my Majacraft Little Gem so it is high time I used it.

And what better place to start than here. It is a bit heavier than most of the yarns that Nancy Bush uses but as my tastes are for the simpler.less complicated shawls I am sure I will find something that I can adapt.

Finally, even though this week I have been working hard on my vest and tunic (more pictures to follow when they can show more than endless expanses of ribbing and stocking stitch), I have also managed to finish one of my Wollemeise knee socks. This yarn goes on for ever - even covering the top of my largest sock blocker. They are a lovely fit so I will have to get cracking on the other one.

Must dash as I need to pack. With all this yarn and books to squeeze into a small space it would be tempting to leave out changes of clothes and toiletries but we won't be doing that -we are knitters - not wild animals...

See you next week!

14 comments:

Jane said...

Have a great weekend. I love the Isle of Wight (used to live near Portsmouth for a while). That sock looks lovely and the yarns are divine!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

have a great time with your Dad!

Cornflower said...

Have a lovely weekend! I'll be very keen to hear your verdict on the Handpainted yarn book as I have it but haven't used it yet.

2myhttp said...

Not only new underwear, sometimes new socks, new pajamas (kinda like xmas morning!). both my kids HAVE to have new pajamas for xmas so they can savor xmas right into their nightly dreams....tooo funny...

Sarah said...

Holidays are definitely the best excuse for new things - LOVE how much you are taking for a long weekend

tea and cake said...

Hope you are having a lovely time, I've never been to the Isle of Wight. Hugs to you and your dad, x

Rose Red said...

I love the idea of knitting new projects on holidays - what a great idea! You've selected a gorgeous bunch of yarns.

Auntie Noo said...

How long was that you were going for???!! I love your total disregard for how much a normal person would think they could achieve. :-)

kathryn said...

Yes you've got some lovely yarn there - and I should have the a la Carte book tomorrow too! Hope you had a great weekend.

picperfic said...

How long are you there for?? Love yarn choices, whenever I leave the house I feel a pang of sadness at leaving my stash, so I do understand...Your handspun looks so perfect, gorgeous and those long socks are amazing, such dedication to knitting, I am proud of you!

Kate said...

WOW! That's alot of yarn to take on vacation. I usually go with maybe 2 projects and hope to finish one. Hope you had a wonderful time!!!

Jenny said...

Totally agree about taking new things when you go away, for me this must include toiletries. The Isle of Wight is such a relaxing place I bet you got loads of knitting done.

Anni said...

Love the sock. And are you sure you've taken enough yarn????? You're as bad as me. I normally take twice as much as I need.

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

you have been nominated for an Honest Scrap award- see my blog!