Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Ms Conscientious

After my weekend of self indulgence, this week has a completely different, but not unpleasant character. On Thursday, my friend Laura and I will be driving up to Yorkshire to join 40 other knitters, crocheters, spinners and all round fibre fiends for the annual Skipnorth retreat in Howarth. This year I am leading one of the workshops which is on sock knitting so I am taking my responsibilities very seriously. I have refreshed my memory on how to do Judy's Magic Cast On which I have to say is very easy once you get the hang of it and produces a very good looking sock toe.

You can hardly see the cast on point at all.
I also cast on the second sock of the Lacy Cable knee socks which use the provisional cast on short row toe and heel construction only with yarn overs rather than wrapped stitches.
It produces a beautiful line of increase along the side of the toe.

When I saw the list of participants in the sock workshop I knew I was going to be on top of my game as I am sure that some of them know more about sock knitting than I do. I decided to set myself the target of everyone coming away from the workshop with at least on tip or trick or new skill that they didn't know before.I have gathered up a resource pack of tutorials from the net for each person so that they can choose a skill to learn with my or other group members' support. I hope they will enjoy it.
I've really enjoyed preparing for the workshop as it's great fun to learn new skills and techniques and to brush up ones that I don't use very often. As we speak I am working through a toe up sock with a flap and gusset construction and am hoping to have time to have another go at the sewn bind off - something that I didn't have great success with last time I tried. Perhaps someone on the workshop can teach me?
As further proof of my conscientiousness I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that I am still working away on my other projects and haven't been completely seduced by new projects. I have now finished the body of the Ribbed Tunic. When I come home from Skipnorth I need to settle down and study the construction of the set in sleeves. My brain can only take so much...

Progress has also been made on the Back to School vest I have divided for the neck and completed the left front.

This is going to be a warm and substantial vest which I have tried on and fits in all the right places. Observe the bust darts...


And finally, a quick win - I finished the Escher socks which I am really pleased with. I'm starting to build a small library of very simple patterns which I can use without thinking too hard on the train. This will definitely be one of them. I see more Escher socks in my life....

If I get time I'll let you know how many extra skills I got under my belt before Skipnorth - if not, have a lovely weekend and think of us, knee deep in wool and fibre....

5 comments:

LynS said...

The workshop sounds wonderful - so rich and diverse in the techniques you'll cover. I'm very envious of the participants. And I love the colour of the ribbed tunic.

Sarah said...

Oh I will think of you all - with envy - your sock workshop sounds fabulous

RooKnits said...

I am so excited about this weekend! I need to start a sock for coach knitting this weekend, I might wait until the workshop so I can incorporate a "new" toe - I hardly ever do toe up!

Rose Red said...

I love Judy's Magic Cast on. It truly is magic! I've done a sewn bind off on socks but it's always a bit "frilly" so I'm not sure if that is right. It works though!

Sounds like a wonderful wonderful weekend.

Squiblet said...

I love your lacy cable knee socks. I will be looking up the pattern on Ravelry asap! Hope you have a fab time at skipnorth.