Tuesday, 3 February 2009

This post is brought to you by the colour green....and white

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but towards the end of last year I was lucky enough to get through the 'lottery' of obtaining a place in the inaugural Wollmeise Sock Club. Now I had heard all kinds of hoo ha about this yarn which flies off the shelves of its few stockists within minutes of it arriving. As far as I am concerned, no yarn is worth me getting out of bed at an unearthly time of the morning or sitting over the computer for hours when I should be knitting so I was delighted to get the chance of Wollmeise without tears and see what all the fuss is about.

I have to say that it is gorgeous. It comes in very generous 150gram hanks of solidly spun, round, smooth merino which are dyed in good, strong, vivid colours. One of the first yarns was this one, the colour of box hedges, apparently.

The yarn does come with a free pattern but I decided that I wanted to find a pattern which was long and toe up, so that I could take advantage of every inch of the yarn. Finally I settled on these Lacy Cables Knee Socks by Susan Gutperl which are more of a sock 'recipe' than a step by step pattern but incorporate an interesting lace panel for the calf expansion so it is never a dull knit.


The recipe suggests using your favourite toe construction so I remembered being told that the toe on Diane Mullholland's Express Lane socks from the Inside Loop was good as it uses yarn over instead of wraps. After a couple of false starts I declare it very good indeed and will certainly be knitting more toe up socks from now on using this method.

It even stands up to close scrutiny.

And here is a closer look at the cable lace which is very simple to memorise.

As I was shivering away taking these photos in my garden on Sunday I was enjoying the intense green colour and looking around the garden for reassuring glimpses of green reflected in nature. I was pleased to remember that the winter salad vegetables that I planted have not only served me well in perking up my sandwiches all winter, they are also food for the eyes on a deep winters day.

Here we have mizuna,


Tatsoi

and the lushest of the lot, winter purslane.


It certainly was chilly when I went out to take the photos. If you look really closely at the sock you can just see the odd....snowflake. You can also see a couple of toast crumbs as well but we won't dwell on that.
By the next morning my winter salad and everything else was buried under this:

And this scene of the table I like to knit at on summer evenings gives you an idea of how deep it was.
We don't really do snow in London so transport came to a standstill and I had a nice cosy knitting day.
Stay safe, everyone.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Great choice of pattern and that colour looks so wonderful - especially when all your greenery is hidden. Just a sprinkling of snow here in Oxford but maybe more later this week?

theyarnyard said...

I was a completely failed, fed-up and defeated toe-upper until I discovered the Express Lane pattern.
Now I am fearless!

Lou said...

What a gorgeous mix of greens (on the yarn and salad both!). That pattern looks lovely with it too. I'm starting to think that I need more solid / semi-solid sock yarn myself... not that I have any intention of trying to stalk Wollmeise either!!

Anni said...

It makes me laugh how England grinds to a halt at a few inches of snow. But I didn't fancy taking the car out yesterday. It's quite funny to a Norwegian though.

Love the socks. NEver tried Woolmeisse either. Must try to get my hands on some to see what the fuss is about.

Sharon said...

That sock is just gorgeous!

Jenny said...

Jane, those green socks are absolutely gorgeous!!!

HeyYeah said...

I love the socks! The colour is perfect for the pattern. And wasn't the snow wonderful - I'm having snow withdrawal!

LittleBerry said...

great socks and fantastic colour....

Bearium said...

That pattern looks absolutely fab in that yarn. I had to rush straight off and add it to my Rav queue ;)