Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Stick a fork in me - I'm done!

Well, it was fairly predictable - once I'd started that Clapotis on Thursday night I was completely at the mercy of its colour changes and stitch drops. I also knew that it would look great with my purple jacket and I needed a change from the entrelac... So I knitted and knitted. It's amazing how much can be achieved if you cart a project around totally unselfconsciously and knit on it absolutely everywhere that you get a chance - in the queue at the cash machine, checkout, every train, bus, car you spend more than 30 seconds in...

By Sunday morning I had this to show for my efforts.

and the coneless cone was looking like this...snigger....
At the beginning of a Clapotis it is hard to understand what is so appealing about them. Just a funny shaped piece of not particularly drapy knitting. It's only after you start dropping the lines of stitches and watching it fold and flow along the ripples that they create do you get the point of a Clapotis.
Here is a closer look at the front
But the texture is equally interesting from the back.


By yesterday morning I was within sight of the end. I bundled the whole thing and knit on it during the journey to work. I knit again as I travelled between sites. By the time I got on the train and headed for home I was down to the last twenty stitches. I finished them off and then set about dropping the final columns of stitches without flapping my six feet of shawl over half the train carriage. By the time I got onto my final train I was sewing in the ends and as I left the station I was wearing it! One last gratuitous shot of how the colour stripes and the dropped stitch rows intersect on this bias knit scarf.
And finally, here it is in all its glory, knit in five days with just under 400g mill end, 'water damaged' Noro Silk Garden which cost me the princely sum of £4.

Normal service will return shortly.

20 comments:

RooKnits said...

You'd better hide that at Skip North - I want it! It is fabulous Jane.

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

WOW! that is stunningly awesome!

LynS said...

I've not knitted a clapotis, so I wasn't aware that the back is so wonderful. This will definitely allow you to 'cultivate an air of negligence' in wearing it.

franney said...

That is stunning Jane, really pretty and knit in 5 days! WOW!
So, what's next for your "knit in under a week" marathon? ;o)

sussexyorkie said...

Bargain, well done it looks lovely.

Barbi said...

All I can say is WOW !!! That is beautiful.
And I loved the fact that at the end of your journey you were wearing it! Wonderful.

Auntie Noo said...

It looks gorgeous, such a fab colour. The Clapotis is certainly a strange phenomenon isn't it?

Jo said...

So blinking jealous...but I have some fibre set aside to spin for the elusive clapotis , and one day I will have one!

Roobeedoo said...

Oooooooooh! That is glorious! Very jealous!

Sarah said...

Oh so lovely! Great tale about finishing it on the train and wearing it from the station, this will be one well loved shawl.

tea and cake said...

My smile became broader as I read on, well done you, and thank you!

stash haus said...

Lovely! How I wish I could knit during my commute - if only one could knit while driving...

LittleBerry said...

It is beautiful..... I rather like the back though!

I don't think there is no such thing as normal.... you do what you like ;o)

dreamcatcher said...

Superb Clapotis!

From what I can tell from the original pattern - I think it is intended to be worn with the "back" outwards, they always look impressive that way round :-)

kathryn said...

Gorgeous colours!!

azzuka said...

just breathtaking!

blog-blethers said...

Beautiful colours!

TutleyMutley said...

oh my, gorgeous! I've been looking at various claps recently in a hankering sort of way. I can feel another project coming on!
Was that silk garden from coldharbour mill purchance?

TutleyMutley said...

ooops, just read your previous post. that'll teach me!

Anni said...

Wow, gorgeous. I've never gotten around to knitting a clapotis. Maybe it's time I tried one.