Saturday, 24 January 2009

Lost in stash and dreams of Italy

It's quite wonderful how my week's hoodie holiday has reminded me how much I enjoy sock knitting. If you could see my bulging sock drawers and those of my nearest and dearest you might think that it was high time for me to move on to other projects but there's just something so satisfying about a sock. From the most simple pattern to the most complex, from sober shades to minced clown, from luxury fibres to sensible and hardwearing, I never seem to tire of them.

Here is my latest plain commuting sock. It's J Knits merino and nylon in a shade called Reno. I've had it in my stash a few years and came across it the other day while I was rummaging for something else. It has made me resolve to explore the outer reaches of my stash more often as, along with countless other knitters of my acquaintance I am resolved to place some control on my yarn acquisition this year. I can hear you sniggering but in truth while I was rummaging I realised that I've got some gorgeous yarn in my stash that needs to be enjoyed!


I've also started working on the December offering from the Yarn Yard Sock Club. Inspired by an array of jars of jam the colours are warm and vibrant. I've started these socks from the toe up,using some of the things I learned from Lucy Neatby I am planning to put a lace pattern in the leg just to stir the colours up a bit.


For some time I have been thinking about what to knit with the merino tencel that I started work on during my holidays in Italy in September. Having seen a lovely version of Veronik Avery's Lace Ribbon Scarf from last Spring's Knitty. I decided that it would be just right to show off the colours and drape of this yarn. The colours remind me of the haze over the valley that I could see from the villa's terrace while I was spinning so I have called this scarf Santa Cristina , the name of the small village I was staying in.


Here is a more detailed image of the stitch pattern which will open up a great deal on blocking I am sure.

I have another small skein hanging up drying after setting and more singles on my spindle. This project is likely to move along in fits and starts over the coming months but it is very satisfying to do a little spinning, a little plying and then a little knitting. If I want a change from one process I can just move on to the other.

Working on this project I can sit and imagine that I am still a traveller sitting on a sunny terrace in the Italian hills. A perfect place for my mind to wander on this grey January day.

9 comments:

tea and cake said...

What lovely post to cheer us up in this dreary weather! Thank you, and your yarn is perfect for this smashing pattern.

Walden said...

Wow, I am usually not a fan of pink, but that jars of jam yarn is really lovely knitted up.

Mandella said...

I like those Reno socks. They're the sort of colour I enjoy, but make me look awful, but that's another of the joys of socks, you can get away with it that far from your face.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with the info from Lucy Neatby.

LynS said...

Such fun colours for both pairs of socks. I so envy your sock-knitting facility!

blog-blethers said...

The Reno yarn is just gorgeous. What perfect colours!

Bells said...

it really is fun to go stash diving sometimes and see what you can come up with. I've done that a couple of times in recent months and come up with some gorgeous socks from yarns I'd forgotten I had.

The scarf is lovely. Nicely matched yarn!

LittleBerry said...

I love the colours in 'Reno' and the scarf is coming along nicely and in such pretty colours...

Anni said...

Love hte scarf and the yarn you're using for it. I must find time to do more spinning this year.

I wish I could rediscover my love of socks. I've kind of got hooked on garments lately, and they're not even for me but for magazines. LOL.

I've got big plans this year to gain control of my stash.

Deborah Bartlett said...

I love your blog, and the photos of your knitting. I am very new to sock knitting and am having difficulty in finding wooden sock stretchers/blockers. I love the ones with animal cut-outs on which you display your socks - please could you tell me where they are from?

Best wishes, Deborah Bartlett