Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Knitting doesn't get tougher than this!

Ever since I stood on the bathroom scales just after Christmas and leaped off with the requisite amount of horror I have been doing my best to eat a bit more sensibly. This means of course, that I have become obsessed with food and have watched every cookery programme available on the BBC I Player as a form of self torture. This has included my particular favourite, Masterchef, which has me giggling from start to finish at the macho hyperbole of the two presenters. The title of this post is an homage to John and Gregg and the Masterchef gladiators...I mean cooks.

Where was I? Oh yes, I think this speed knitting has melted my brain...but look - one 44 inch bust hoodie in aran weight wool knitted in a couple of hours less than a week! There are ends to sew in and a button and Icord to attach before blocking but I think I can say that I passed my self imposed challenge.

Here is a view of the front. Despite its current shapeless appearance I did add a tiny bit of waist shaping even though the fit is 'relaxed'.

Here is the back view, just to prove it has a proper, head sized hood. I'm always amazed at how blocking transforms a garment. I'm saying this in the fervent hope that it will stop this jumper looking like the dirtiest habit in the monastery which is what it resembles right now.


I am rather proud of the neatness of the three needle bind off down the centre of the hood though.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the buttons. I think I've gone with the majority verdict although every button had at least one supporter! I have to say that whilst this may not have been my favourite amongst them, it sits on the fabric as if it belongs there. Looking at it more closely I love the aged, slightly scratched look of it. I always wonder what sort of garments vintage buttons have been on and what sort of lives they have been part of.
So that's it - mission accomplished. I will show you a final shot of the jumper all blocked and finished very soon - by the weekend with any luck.
I'm not sure I'm planning to subject myself to this sort of challenge again any time soon as I don't think it really suits my character.I have to accept that I have a bit of a butterfly brain who is happy to have lots of projects on the go and flit between them at will. It's not that I am incapable of finishing things, as is proved by the list of finished objects in my side bar, I just prefer buffet knitting to a sit down knitting dinner.
See? I can't stop thinking about food....

13 comments:

RooKnits said...

Jane, you are a knitting whirlwind. I love it, and want one...

tea and cake said...

Well done, you! And, you are right about the choice of button - it suits the colour and texture of this super jumper, oops hoodie, sorry!
I am hoping to have a go at a knit 'from the top down' as in the latest issue of Yarn Forward. I feel I was in a wooly, knitting abyss before I found knitting blogs and magazines. Thank goodness for you!

Rosie said...

Love it, even before blocking. (And am still sniggering over the "dirtiest habit in the monastery": wonder what Samantha would have to say on the subject..?)

Rosie said...

Love it, even before blocking. (And am still sniggering over the "dirtiest habit in the monastery": wonder what Samantha would have to say on the subject..?)

LynS said...

As I think I've commented before, I just love this colour, and it looks so wearable! (that's a deep compliment, as I can't bear the thought of beautiful knitted garments that aren't worn frequently).

picperfic said...

whoosh! what a lovely looking jumper! I have some of that yarn in a lime colour...I am thinking of the Rogue Hoodie for mine!

Walden said...

I think the hoodie looks very comfortable and nice, I love the button choice, I think it goes perfectly with the garment.

LittleBerry said...

I can't believe you knit it in a week..... but it does look good and the button you picked is perfect.....

Thanks for the comment about the shawl...

sussexyorkie said...

Lightening needles, very smart habit. Why do the contestants on Masterchef seem to want to put Melon with everything this year?!

Auntie Noo said...

worth the effort though! Looks fab. (and I love the colour!)

dreamcatcher said...

Gorgeous hoodie and completed so quickly!

Janey said...

I love it, where can I find the pattern, it looks like something that will become a great basic that I'd like in several different colours!!

Lin said...

Lovely hoodie, I can't believe you knitted it so fast! I signed onto weightwatchers online programme, thinking that paying would motivate me to eat sensibly, like you I am seeing food everywhere!!!