Sunday, 4 January 2009

Island life in words and pictures

Well here I am back at my post after the best part of two weeks spent with my family on the Isle of Wight. It was a game of two halves, the first week there were four adults and two children squeezed into dad's little house with my sister and her partner and two children and I making our traditional Christmas pilgrimage to dad's house with the specific intent of shattering his peace.

The second week, dad and I spent together, dad quietly dozing in front of the darts coverage on TV, me working my way through the yarn mountain that I had of course brought with me. In retrospect I estimate that I had enough to keep me going for six months speed knitting at gunpoint but the fear of running out with no decent LYS at a distance that doesn't require a sea voyage got the better of me.

I also discovered that I am a dreadful blog photographer. There are blogs around which display beautifully composed photographic studies which perfectly illustrate the moment that they wish to capture. Having downloaded the photographic evidence from my camera I find that I have produced a random selection of some of the more obscure elements of my stay. If you are lucky I may concoct a story which vaguely links them together - lets see...

Now my family has long got used to my role as knitter in chief so it comes as no surprise to receive grisly reminders in the shape of greetings cards like this. I don't know whether the person who knitted the skiing penguin or the individual who applied the layer of glitter that should be held most responsible for this.


Moving on... the taste police must have raided the house recently as instead of taking up her rightful position in the bathroom, the loo roll dolly was languishing at the back of a cupboard. Here she is restored to her former glory.


Whilst rummaging at the back of cupboards we also came across these early examples of the knitted stitch. I have a feeling that these are my sister's responsibility. Here we see the leftover pink and white poncho yarn and friends.


These were apparently abandoned in favour of a full immersion in 70's neon shades!


As you might imagine from all this diving into the backs of cupboards for nostalgic items, the weather was such that encouraged indoor pursuits. In fact this is how I was to be seen for the majority of the festive season. These are my very favourite slippers...


We did, however, venture outside the house on a few occasions when I managed to capture these two very contrasting images. This is the Ryde Queen, in her heyday a beautiful paddle steamer and in latter years in dry dock as a night club which is how, as a teenager, I knew her. It is rather sad and sobering to see her in this condition but I reckon she is pretty much past saving now.


Contrast her with this beautiful shining tribute to men with strange hobbies and oily rags. The Havenstreet Steam Railway had a Mince Pie Special day so we took the children for a bracing ride on a steam train to give dad some peace and quiet.



Dad coped with this major disruption to his quiet routine like a trouper. There was only one incident that provoked any tension. I will leave it to John Shuttleworth to explain...

In my next post I will show you how much knitting I managed to get done...

2 comments:

natalie said...

That penguin has obviously been bitten by the spinning bug too... it has a spindle under each arm!

picperfic said...

A lovely readable post Jane. Your poor Dad, hope he has recovered from the chaos! Off to read what Shuttleworth has to say now....