Saturday, 17 January 2009

Could you manage caviar every day for a week?

One of the things that I love about knitting is that it's a medium through which so many moods and whims can be expressed. Recently I've been feeling the need to throw myself at something large and uncomplicated after the detailed and small scale colour work that I have been doing recently.

Inspired by Natalie's recently finished one kilometre jumper I remembered that I had some Rowanspun Aran amongst my collection of precious discontinued yarns and decided that what I really need is another hooded jumper. I have several of these, knit using the Knitting Pure and Simple Pattern for a neck down hooded tunic and have them in constant rotation all the time, in fact,I am wearing one now as I type.

The shade that I chose is Caviar, not Tusk as I might have mentioned in my previous post and is a lovely,sophisticated mid brown colour with red white and blue flecks. When I had made my decision, I don't know if this ever happens to you but I could see myself wearing it, really clearly, right down to the long denim skirt and brown boots that I was going to wear it with.


So I started knitting with great enthusiasm and impatience to be wearing my new jumper. I always find that the shoulder part of a top down jumper goes really fast. The raglans are shaped by doing a knit front and back of the same stitch increase either side of four stitch markers until there are enough stitches all round. I love the neat line of increase that it creates.

Before I knew it, I had romped through two balls of yarn in the space of 48 hours and had created this:

I think it was then that the madness took hold and I decided that I would challenge myself to see if I could finish this jumper within a week.I calculated that it would take about six skeins of yarn to complete at my going rate of a ball a day how hard could it be?

Yesterday, as I hauled this increasingly bulky garment out of my bag on the train in place of my usual sock I started to have my doubts. Even so, by midnight I was only slightly behind schedule and had produced this as day 3 drew to a close.

It's now past the scary 'will it fit' stage and I have tried it on.
With a weekend to myself I should be able to make plenty of progress over the next couple of days. Let's see if I have enough to show you by tomorrow, the end of day 4.

4 comments:

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

it looks wonderful!

Panhandle Jane said...

It looks great. I love the Knitting Pure and Simple patterns.

Spinningfishwife said...

Where did you get the pattern, Jane? I've been looking for it and a couple more of these patterns but can't find a UK supplier.

celadon2 said...

You are a brave woman, keep going Jane.