Thursday, 18 December 2008

Knitwear on location

A couple of years ago I made myself a hooded jumper using a Knitting Pure and Simple Pattern and some Rowanspun Aran that I'd been stashing. For the first time in my knitting life I had a jumper that was just right for me in every way, the fit , the feel, the colour so I wore it every time it was cold enough. One early December I wore it when I was visiting my sister.

My usually reticent sister said 'I want a jumper just like that - the same colour, the same style, the same button. Please'. How could I refuse? Given the timescales it was a bit difficult to make it for Christmas so I packed up the yarn, the pattern the needles, the ball winder and swift and gave them to her in a big box on Christmas morning with an IOU for one jumper. Now I know that she had been after getting her hands on the ball winder and swift for some time so we waited until after the children were in bed so that she could enjoy her Christmas yarn winding in peace then I got started. Ten days after Christmas (well she is a couple of sizes smaller than me!) her jumper was finished and it fit perfectly. So now we both have favourite jumpers that we wear all the time and remind us of each other.

For some reason, however, we don't often put the hoods up...


The photo was taken on one of my favourite sorts of winter day when the temperatures are freezing but the sun has a brightness and the air a clarity that you only get at this time of year. We decided to make the most of it and take a picnic to the Tregaron bog which is a wonderful nature reserve with boardwalks and a hide for wildlife spotting (and eating your sandwiches).

These frosted twigs give some idea of how cold it was.


But just look at the stillness and quality of the light.


Whilst we were rugged up in hats, gloves and scarves (it is so much the knitter's season - don't you just love it?), this robin has almost rendered himself spherical in an attempt to get the most warmth from his feathers. This photo is courtesy of my nephew George who is becoming a very talented and patient wildlife photographer for someone who usually can't sit still for five minutes.



Our other outing of the weekend was a little more sedate, visiting the Christmas Fair at Llanachaeron which is an Edwardian House owned and recently refurbished by the National Trust.
The highlight for me is the ancient walled garden with its espaliered fruit trees and sheltered corners where the sun felt almost warm.

and these cobblestones could influence a future knitting pattern?

I had a wonderful albeit too brief time with my family in Wales. I love travelling, on a good day, for a knitter, even the journey can yield interesting conversations. It's not every day you meet an alpaca farmer and a poetess.

But maybe it isn't every day they meet somebody knitting a pair of these....
Thanks to everyone for their kind words about my mitt pattern in Gerard's book. You made me blush.

6 comments:

Cornflower said...

Oh, what lovely pictures!

RooKnits said...

I knew I would love the mittens... fabulous - and well done to your nephew for the Robin photo - excellent. Maybe you should have him visit you in London and go to the Natural History Museum for the Wildlife photographer exhibition?

Lin said...

I really enjoyed that post, lovely frosty twigs.

celadon2 said...

stunning mittens

picperfic said...

How lovely to have that relationship with your sister, mine prefers M&S somehow! I do have that relationship with my daughter though. I love the pixie hoodie hat! The colour is lovely, just right! I haven't been to a Christmas fayre this year, the NT hold some lovely events. Merry Christmas Jane

LittleBerry said...

have been remiss reading blogs lately when I relised I'd missed 3 of your posts! could have sworn it was only a couple of days since I looked!

Once again congrats on having a pattern in a published book it's about time your talents were recognised :o)

Looks like you had a great time with Lucy Neatby and learned lots I think its definitely all about learning the little things that make our knitting so much better...

I love the photos from Wales and the Robin photo would make a lovely card....