Thursday, 13 November 2008

Twisted Sisters

Good news! Despite my addiction to casting on new things I have managed to finish a few projects. First up we have the plain socks in Yarn Yard merino sock yarn that I was making on the Magic Loop as part of the sock class I taught at IKnit. I finally decided to abandon the educational endeavour and switched to double pointed needles which resulted in a much speedier and neater sock. I have to accept that on the matter of socks, I am a confirmed Luddite. None of your new fangled circular needles for me! At least not for generic socks.


In fact, I was enjoying the project so much by the time I finished that I decided I had enough left for a small pair so cast on these for Florrie. Now it was touch and go, I'll admit as I was reduced to harvesting the cast on tail to finally close the toe on the second socks. It will be worth it though - to see the look of delight on Florrie's face and the expression of mild horror along with the mouthing of 'How could you?' from my sister when I present them with Mother and Daughter Socks! A golden opportunity to gently plant the seed of fear in my sister's mind that I am going to follow them up with Mother and Daughter Ponchos for Christmas...

I have also finished my hand spun mitts which I am now calling my Fir Cone Mitts as the patterns remind me of the scales on a fir cone. I'm really pleased with this project as they fit beautifully and I have more or less managed to keep the sequence of colours intact for each mitt so that they match. It's a lovely feeling to know that my spinning has developed to the point when I am able to realise projects that I have in my mind instead of hanging on for grim death and finding a use for whatever yarn I have been able to keep intact!

I am going to try out this pattern in a more commercially available yarn as a potential contribution to the p/hop project that Natalie at the Yarn Yard is developing. In brief she is setting up a Just Giving site for Medecins Sans Frontiers together with a collection of free patterns with the idea that you calculate the 'Pence per Hour of Pleasure' that the pattern gives you and donate accordingly! I'd better make sure it's error free as nobody will want to donate Pence per Hour of Frogging!
In an effort to make sure I continue to use my hand spun yarn I have found a pattern in this book which despite its rather 80s looking cover has some pretty patterns.


This is a basket stitch scarf knit on the bias which I thought would show off the orange and pink hand spun rather well. Sort of cross between a Lady E and a clapotis really...

Finally, I thought I would start an occasional series that prove I complete the spin, knit, wear cycle occasionally. I thought these socks looked rather snazzy for work. I made them a couple of years ago from Shelridge Farm Soft Touch Ultra Heather Yarn which as you can see, has worn really well. The pattern is Conwy from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road which I have made a couple of times and can thoroughly recommend.

Do you wear your knitted items every day?
PS I haven't cast on for the Fairisle Gloves yet but I nearly spat out my teeth when Harriet commented about how much they were asking for my pattern book on Amazon - they're only gloves for goodness sake - and yes, anyone is welcome to Glovealong with Littleberry and I and no, I didn't pay anything like that amount for it!

9 comments:

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Those socks are gorgeous. Now that Magic-Loop-Method/Thing just scares the beejeebees out of me. I really love the rustic look of your Fir Cone Mitts. Very nice. The book you show is one that I have passed up for about a year every time I go to the library. I will now check it out. No, I'm ashamed to say; I donot wear my knitted items everyday.

celadon2 said...

I'm a DPN girl as you know! I wear my socks every day, and often I've got my favourite cardigan on.

Thus saying that I do have the odd pair of non knitted socks hanging around, and I've ended up with a pair of those on today - in my defence I have had a migraine and asked son to get me some socks. The hand knitted ones will be back on tomorrow!

LittleBerry said...

magic loop is too fiddley and slow for socks... 2 circs are my preferred but I always have a pair on bamboo dpn's as well... and I wear handknit socks everyday :o)))

The fingerless gloves look great and I love the colours... your shawl with your humbug handspun looks like it's going to be nice too..

Ahh gloves not progressed much this week I really am contemplating frogging and doing a different pattern!!!

Janey said...

I'm afraid I have been converted to the magic loop method for knitting, in fact I use circulars for nearly all my knitting these days, even back and forth as I find they support the wieght of my knitting better and relieve the strain on my shoulder.

I love your fir cone mittens and yes, I try to wear something I've knitted most days,socks, hat or gloves or maybe all 3!! With the odd jummie chucked in for good measure.

Anonymous said...

eBay has the mitten book for £58 as a buy it now price atm. Still a bit steep but if someone really wants it....
jenny

littlelixie said...

Tagged ya!

Anni said...

Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog Jane. Love the socks and the other knits. I prefer dpns too. I do magic loop or 2 circs occasinally and teach it but for speed nothing beats my Boyes dpns.

Nickerjac said...

Tagged you to

Malin said...

This time of the year I always wear handknit woolly socks. Scarf, hat and mittens when outside, and a sweater of course (sometimes hadnknit, sometimes not. And the last few days I have thrown a big shawl on outside my jacket.

Is this too much?