Friday, 7 November 2008

For Peace comes Dropping Slow*

For me, once again, this week, knitting and spinning has provided the chance to take a deep breath and tune in to a more simple rhythm, a refuge in a frenetic week. A new spinning project is on the wheel. This is another Yarn Yard offering, blue faced Leicester humbug roving over dyed in deep pink and orange.

It was particularly pretty in its predrafted form.

After a month of spinning a heavy lace weight I decided that I wanted something heavier and bouncier so I concentrated hard on putting less twist in to thicker singles. 200g of roving flew through the wheel in no time. This BFL really is the most beautiful silky, glowing fibre which has made a gorgeous, complex yarn. I have 200g more to spin up which should be enough for a reasonable substantial scarf. I could do another clapotis or entrelac but I am looking for something a little different. Anyone got any ideas?

I've also been beavering away on my Selbuvotter and can show you a completed mitt.

Well, almost!

I have to brace myself for tackling the thumb... I was discussing my aversion to knitting digits and how it has prevented me from making a pair of gloves with Littleberry Knits and before I knew where I was we had agreed to do a two person glove knitalong to help address this aversion - how did she do that? Speaking of Littleberry, do visit her blog and think about joining the silent auction in support of Breast Cancer Haven that she is holding at the moment. You could be the proud owner of a skein of her hand spun yarn which is stunning.
I have chosen this mitten and glove book. I love how many variations there are of this simple garment drawn from national and regional aesthetic traditions. As you study them you can start seeing connections between areas as well as features that make them unique.

I have chosen this design. I'm not sure what the photographer was thinking to take a picture of dark brown gloves against a dark brown background but if you peer very closely you can just about make them out.

I thought that these would be a good option as whilst the pattern doesn't extend up the fingers thus reducing the 'fiddle factor', they do require me to choose a palette of colours rather than just two which will work together. These mitts use mostly natural shades which blend into each other subtly plus a central highlight colour. I have rummaged through my mitt yarn box and come up with this colour combination.

The proof of the pudding, however, will be in the knitting.

*with thanks to Jackie Leven

6 comments:

Harriet said...

That book looks great - I just looked it up on Amazon and nearly fainted!
Can anyone join the glove knitalong? I've got the wool for a second pair of sanquar gloves waiting to be done (and yes, two colour fingers are fiddley) if I can find my size 15 needles. It was the first pair of those gloves that made me use the 'one colour in each hand' technique for two colour knitting.
Love your first mitten too.

LittleBerry said...

love the mitten, it's alovely design and I think the colours look stunning I also think your humbug looks glorious... and I'm tryig to resist as Natalie still has some in the shop.....

Thank you for the 'write-up' about the silent auction...

Gloves mmm have got no further than last friday but hopefully today I will make some progress...

Dori Ann said...

Your mittens are beautiful! I have been looking for a pattern for fingerless Fair Isle gloves to give it a try. And your yarn is beautiful! Of all the fiber I have spun, I haven't spun BFL!

Lin said...

Very nice mittens Jane and that book looks great. Lots of inspiration I am sure.

picperfic said...

ooh...so yummy! I have some of that delicious roving in a plummy pink colour. How did you ply it?

picperfic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.