Thursday, 2 October 2008

Photo Finish

One of the prices that I pay as a 'parallel' knitter, which is a euphemism for someone who has more works in progress than she cares to admit, is that I can be knitting diligently away night after night and not really have much to show for it. Curiously, I quite often find that I finish several projects all around the same time in a bit of a flurry.

So today I have quite a bit to show you.

First is the hand spun entrelac scarf made from Yarn Yard merino silk in a combination of a leafy green called Menthe and a recent Fibre Club offering inspired by a stormy landscape. I'm really pleased with the way this scarf turned out. I managed to spin the Stormy fibre a lot more thinly than the Menthe unfortunately but the pattern is very forgiving and absorb the inconsistency into its rustic looks.I used about 150 grams of Menthe and 100 grams of Stormy.

I didn't block the scarf as I think it is enhanced by its slightly three dimensional quality, particularly on the back where the ridges formed by the picked up edges really stand out. I think it's actually my favourite side. I wore it to work today with a green jumper and a long denim skirt and received compliments!


I also managed to finish the Spring Forward socks that I was working on in Italy. I really like this pattern and think it suits the yarn, Sanguine Gryphon Eidos very well. I have to confess that I used the pattern more as a rough guideline which is shorthand for saying that I misread the rib instructions, then messed up the lace pattern then lost the pattern altogether and did my own thing from the heel onwards.

My hand spun Crown Mountain Farms Sock Hop socks are also finished. I can confirm that these socks are much better spun than my first hand spun socks which you can see on my avatar. They don't stand up by themselves for one thing and the striping is much prettier. I have some more of this fibre so perhaps I'll do another pair this time next year and see if they are better still!


Finally, I am working on another hand spun project with the Rockpool Candy yarn. It's a bit wilder than my usual projects but it makes me smile.
One small clue.... does anyone remember Adam Ant?

12 comments:

tea and cake said...

a highwayman's outfit! cool!
Seriously, you have now convinced me that entrelac is worth it. Years ago my ma-in-law made the most garish blanket for my grand-daughter. My daughter and I hated it, but grand-daughter loved it, and you could see that it was technically wonderful, but the colour? Bile green and cream, yuk.
But, your colours are beautiful, and it is knitted perfectly. Well done, you! And, I agree about not blocking it.
sorry, about the long message. And, I've not started on about the socks yet .... !

Paula said...

I love the entrelac and the socks too. I know what you mean about the multi project thing. I'm just the same.

stash haus said...

Love the scarf and socks. I agree, I don't think it would be the same after blocking.

Adam Ant?! Wow, does that bring back memories!

Lin said...

What a gorgeous scarf out of your handspun, its lovely. The weather is just right to wear it now too!
I liked Adam Ant!

sussexyorkie said...

Stand and Deliver, does that answer the question. You aren't knitting a frilly cuff are you?
I just love the Entrelac shawl, really must give it a go although not with Handspun. I can only aspire to spin sock yarn.

Rosie said...

Just dandy! (Or is this a case of "don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?" followed by "subtle innuendos".) (My favourite line has to be "ridicule is nothing to be scared of" but I'm sure you won't ever be ridiculed for you gorgeous creations).

I adore the scarf and have major sock envy.

LittleBerry said...

the entrelac scarf is lovely and the two colours really work well together...

Love both sets of socks... but the handspun are lovely... but I do like the pretty green colour...

Adam Ant mmm frilly lace cuffs?

RooKnits said...

Gorgeous entrelac scarf. I adore your handspun socks too. They make me want to learn to spin.

Deborah said...

Love the Scarf and the socks. I really like your shorthand. Don't Drink, Don't Smoke, What do you do?

susan said...

Yep I am old enough to remember Adam Ant, a tri cornered hat? Diana Dores on rollerskates?

Love the knits, must try the Spring thingie socks.

Being naughty and casting on Eleanor socks tonight, got YY sock yarn with fibre club.

Anni said...

Wow, gorgeous stuff. Love the entrelac scarf, the handspun is gorgeous and the socks are fab too. Must get around to knitting some socks from my handspun soon. So far I seem to spinbut not use the yarn for anything.

Squiblet said...

I now have Prince Charming stuck in my head. I hope it's dandy highway man frilly cuffs!! But from the colours I very much doubt it. But the colours do remind me of his face paint.