Sunday, 26 October 2008

Fibre fiddling

I've noticed that there are an awful lot of skeins of handspun hanging around in my house at the moment. I do try to have a project in mind when I start spinning but the process is so compelling that as soon as I've made the yarn for one project I'm thinking about making the yarn for another. It's taken my always problematic startitis to a whole new level.

This week I took myself firmly by the scruff of the neck and got out the stitch dictionaries for the mitts I have been spinning Shetland roving for. I wanted something simple that would make the painted roving really pop from the natural black background. As is often the case it was Barbara Walker who had just the thing in her original Treasury of Knitting Patterns, the simplest of slip stitch patterns called Chain Stripes.

Here is a front view of the mitt - excuse the gardener's hands - the nails really aren't dirty but those craggy old knuckles need some serious hand creaming this winter!


And here is the identical palm side but it does give you a view of the fact that I managed to run the pattern up the thumb, something that I'm particularly proud of.

Here is a gratuitous closeup of the stitch pattern.I love the way that the colours graduate through the stripes and the clean look that the Navajo plying gives to the yarn.


Now all I've got to do is finish spinning for the other mitt... The spindle is a Bosworth midi in Red Oak for the spindle fanciers amongst you and it spins beautifully.

And finally, the pink spinning is almost at an end. I have about 400 metres from 80 grams of yarn with another 110 grams of fibre to go so I have made something thinner than sock but heavier than lace weight. To be honest, I'm not much of a lace weight knitter so I think it will be just right for me. Now to decide what to knit.

What do you think I'm going to ask you now?


Have you?

7 comments:

LynS said...

The Chain Stitch pattern is perfect for this project. It shows up the colour gradations of your homespun beautifully. It's almost never cold enough for mittens here in Sydney - rather sad when they can be as lovely as yours.

Kath said...

Lovely mitts and so neatly done getting the pattern round the thumb too! The pink yarn looks great too - have fun working out what it is calling to be!

purl pirate said...

Oh, those mitts are fantastic, the colours are so autumnal!

Sheila said...

your mitts are beautiful, the colours are gorgeous!!!!

Lin said...

Those gloves are lovely.

*PATH PIMENTINHA* said...

wow! What a wonderful blog!
I added you on my links!
Please, visit my little blog, ok?
See you and congratulations!
Patricia

LittleBerry said...

I do like those mitts the natural black with 'haircut' is great....