Wednesday, 3 September 2008

Children, Animals....and a horrifying revelation

Well, this week I am still in Aunty mode and have nearly finished these socks for Florrie. We were talking about colours and I said that I thought she liked pink. 'I do', she said, 'But I also like the bluey colour in my socks too.' Luckily for her the Lochan came as a set and this is one of the matching semi solids. I am even enjoying knitting a plain sock in it as the sheen on the yarn really stands out in a solid colour with the subtle variations giving it movement.

Still struggling with the idea of being a grownup I spent this last weekend staying with my friends Alan and Andrew. On Saturday Alan and I drove into Brighton for a wander around all the trendy retro shops in the Lanes. What did I come back with? A Pom-Pom making kit for the kids! Now my sister and I had this kit when we were kids and I swear it has the best pom-pom making gadgets around. They clip together so you can wind the yarn round super fast without poking it through that pesky hole in the middle. I'm half tempted to keep it for myself but I also want to see my sister's face when I produce it! Also, pom-pom making is just another form of childhood fibre indoctrination...


Not much more knitting and spinning has been going on as I have been attempting to exert some discipline over the chaos in my home because I have Iknit Day house guests coming to stay at the weekend! Partly due to the fact that I don't want them to pass out when they see the Towers O'Yarn in person without some sort of preparation and partly so that if you catch me trying to buy more yarn at IKnit you can shoot me a long hard look I give you... my stash....

These live in my bedroom... Top right with the lid that won't stay on is the Yarn Yard stash by the way.

Not very feng shui. And this obelisk towers over the spare bed.
I'd better do some serious knitting this winter....

16 comments:

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

if you try to knit all the way through your stash I suggest you get your groceries delivered! You wont be able to leave your house!

K. said...

I would like to second suse AND add that you may need to take a sabbatical from work for the winter as well. On the days that you feel bad about that yarn, feel better knowing there are many people out there with larger stashes. And in case of yarn shortages, you'll be just fine.

knittingtastic said...

I have been contemplating doing some serious stash reduction as mine is getting out of hand, but Jane, you have made me realise all I need is proper storage...Thank You!!

twellve said...

the purply color of those socks is really nice. i am envious as all hell of your stash. shame i'll miss IKnit Day, but then again, i'm not complaining--will be on a greek isle for a week!
happy knitting.

celadon2 said...

Yep I've got my stash in boxes like those too.

Umm must do some knitting over the winter too and reduce stash a bit!

sussexyorkie said...

Blimey, that is a stash to be proud of. Maybe enough for a few weeks!

LittleBerry said...

made me feel better about my stash! but if you work hard for your pennies you get to spend it on what you want ;o) plus you won't need insulation!!!!

The pompom makers that clip together are great I have the Prym one which works like that (comes with 4 sizes) only problem is you wind so fats you don't want to stop and change colours :o(

Roobeedoo said...

Lovely lilac! But more to the point - buy another crate. You don't want the moths to get at the Yarn Yard stash!

Auntie Noo said...

Your stash makes me feel better - thank you!!! :) I love that Lochan, haven't used it myself yet, I must rectify that!

Joan said...

Your post transported me right back to my 9th Christmas, where I received the exact same pompom maker as the one pictured in your blog. Same box and all.

Thanks for the sweet memory!

Knit Nurse said...

*huge sigh of relief* it seems I am only a beginner in this whole stashing matter. Must try harder!

Lin said...

I need a pom pom maker now I have heard about yours. Thank you for showing your stash, I feel much better about mine now!!!

picperfic said...

I wouldn't mind sleeping in your stash! Bet it is all very special and beautiful yarn!

tea and cake said...

Yay! Thank you for this post and the piccie - I have been able to show my long-suffering husband that my stash isn't so large! Good luck with the winter knit-in. K x

Cazzie said...

Oooo I had the same pom-pom kit when i was little - how I loved it :)

Glynis said...

Oh the memories! I too had a Pom Pom Pets kit just like that one.