Sunday, 17 August 2008

The wisdom of knitters

I hope my commenters are feeling pleased with themselves. You were all absolutely right, rather than get bogged down in my morass of work in progress I needed to focus in on getting at least one thing finished - and here we have them - the Scroll Lace Socks by Bowerbird Knits are finished. Despite the fact that they was about twice as much knitting in them as an average pair of socks the pattern was easily memorised and flowed very well.

This finishing lark is quite addictive so I also put the finishing touches to these socks for my niece. The last pair I made for her are lovingly folded in her drawer but she did admit that she finds them a bit scratchy so the search began for yarn for a princess. The yarn I ended up choosing was Yarn Yard Merino Tencel which is very warm and soft. I do hope that she likes them. I will soon find out as I am off to Wales to see them next weekend for my nephew's 9th birthday. I love visiting at this time of year, not only for the birthday celebrations but also for the Talybont show where this year the sheep should be back after last year's blue tongue scares.


This week I have been beavering away on my works in progress. I have started the second sleeve of my charcoal jumper, finished the first bobbin of my green merino silk spinning and reached the final flutter of my flutter scarf. One more good bobbin full should finish the thing! How exciting.

Finally, I have to fess up. All this hard work deserved a small reward.... So, I have cast on for a new sock. This is Spring Forward from the latest Knitty in Sanguine Gryphon Eithos yarn in the shade Parmenides. It's lovely soft, lustrous merino and is knitting up very nicely I think.

I'm now off to get on with my charcoal jumper. Honest....

9 comments:

Paula said...

Gorgeous socks Jane. I'm sure she will love the merino tencel socks. Its so soft and fluffy

sussexyorkie said...

Well done with the 2mm socks, I'm still reeling from that. The colour of Sanguine Gryphon Eithos is lovely, very apt for Spring Forward.

Auntie Noo said...

Your niece will adore those new socks - they are lovely and definitely fit for a princess.

picperfic said...

oh dear, these Princesses are plentiful! Those new socks are beautiful and I am so glad you managed to get some WIP's finished!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

what wonderful socks, well done for finishing them, and that means of course that you can start two or three new things!

Sarah said...

Lovely, lovely socks. Don't blame you for casting on the Spring Forward socks - it's a nice pattern to knit and yours are looking great

Mrs J said...

Lovely! I can feel the softness of the merino over the net! But casting on in good too!

Lin said...

Grand socks, it feels good to finish stuff doesn't it.

K. said...

Those scroll socks are dead gorgeous! Love 'em! And congrats on getting some projects done. Good work!