Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Test of endurance

Spurred on by the feeling of accomplishment from working on my stash and books, this weekend I turned my attention to my knitting needles and works in progress. I am now the smug owner of sorted and stored straight, dpn and circular needles all in one place and under control.

Would that the works in progress were as disciplined. It has dawned on me that the majority of my projects are in that difficult middle phase where the cast on enthusiasm has departed and the end seems too far off to act as an incentive. I have spent the last few days knitting up a storm yet the end remains tantalisingly out of reach on all fronts. I wish I had the focus and strength of will to concentrate on a project at a time and systematically tick them off but sadly I have the attention span of a gnat and need to rotate them every so often. Progress is therefore not always visible to the naked eye. They also make for extraordinarily dull photography. Take a snooze inducing tour with me....

First we have the scroll lace socks which are past the point of no return but still requiring a foot.

I'm starting to get a vague scent of home with these but I am at the point of wondering what possessed me to embark on a pair of 80 stitch extra long socks on 2mm needles.

They are a positive sprint when I compare them to my Thermal, which despite the investment of another couple of hours knitting is managing to defy the laws of physics and actually get shorter the longer that I work on it. There is so much work wrapped up in this and the fabric feels so soft and lovely that I will press on...

There was something in the blustery wind at the weekend which carried with it foreshadowing of autumn which lent working on my squishy and slouchy grey jumper a sense of renewed urgency. This, in contrast responds well to a bit of hard work and lo and behold we have a sleeve! I just have to brace myself for the other one and the collar....

I seem to have been knitting away on my Mrs Trellis shawl forever and it is certainly growing more quickly than it did when I started. I have, however, only done 15 of the 30 pattern repeats and then there's the border. This one is going to run and run...

Spinning has been happening too but all I have to show you is another 29g skein of yarn for my Flutter. Are you still awake? I'm starting to flag...

By this time I had spent so much of the weekend glued to the sofa it was very likely that my backside had grown roots so it was time to hop up and get a bit of exercise on the wheel. I've done about a metre and a bit of the entrelac scarf and have run out of green yarn so have started spinning the next 100g of Menthe. It really is the most beautiful stuff to spin...

I am rather proud of myself that I have managed to make tangible progress on most of my projects, if we don't think about the Thermal, and have resisted the temptation to cast on something new although things have been buzzing through my head all the time.

I'm also impressed that you have managed to read this far without dropping off so here is our reward. Saturday's post was very kind.

First she brought me this beautiful Elemental from the very lovely and talented Ambermoggie.


She is an Air Elemental representing inspiration and ideas. She has a woodpecker feather in her hair. These birds live on what they find in the wood as I use wood to bring ideas into fruition with spindle, wheel and needles. I think she is beautiful and just perfect for me. She is a drop spindler herself and has taken up residence with my spindles.


The final thing I have to show you may not be suitable for those of a nervous disposition. If you are easily excited please look away now, for your own protection. May I present the knitting geek book to end all knitting geek books.


There really is no hope for me...

10 comments:

m1k1 said...

You Are Not Alone.

The mere fact that such a book can be published means we are all on the right track, and focused on the really important things in life.
=jen

Sussexyorkie said...

Just the mention of 2mm needles had me quaking.

Spinayarn said...

80 sts and 2mm needles??? I bow to your endurance and skill.The socks look fabulous and the work involved is aweinspiring. Lovely Elemental doll too : )Ambermoggie is such a talented lady.

Mandella said...

Now, I am going to speak stern words to you for your own good. You would do the same for me, should the sock be on the other foot.

Get on and get those scroll lace socks done! They are too beautiful to be languishing unfinished. As my wise friend would say to me, knock off the easy wins first.

You will have your chance for revenge. I am lusting after a Abotanicity from Knitty. This is an empire line jumper with a lace skirt. It is knitted in sock yarn. Like I said, you will have revenge. But you might want to finish the book first ....

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

do yourself a favour and finish those socks, they look gorgeous and should be worn!
Then lie down and read the book. It must have been fun researching the book... oh dear, I really have the bug now..

picperfic said...

finish those beautiful socks!! We all have WIP's and yours look so beautiful but don't they nag at you? Love the yarn so much, you are such a clever lady!

ambermoggie said...

Glad you like the elemental:) I love the spun yarn so ethereal. Get those socks finished Jane they look fabulous:)

LittleBerry said...

I know exactly how you feel... except I'm not being as productive!!! Hang in there Jane!

K. said...

Knitting Geek books. Makes me want to go book shopping... I always need more books on knitting. I don't even have all the Barbara Walker treasuries.

I feel your pain with all the projects. My downfall has always been wanting to do a lot of christmas projects. Right now, I have no large projects, just loads of smaller ones.

Knit Nurse said...

I hope you are going to share with us some of the kernels of fascination that the book no doubt contains!!