Sunday, 3 August 2008

The great British summer - with added ferrets

This weekend I spent doing my bit for spreading the knitting word by teaching in the Big Knit tent at the Innocent Village Fete in Regent's Park. The Innocent smoothie company do a charity promotion annually where they get people to knit little hats for their smoothie bottles for Help the Aged. At this point my utilitarian streak pops up and asks what the point of knitting hats for bottles which have no apparent use is .However, as a way to teach the basics of knitting they are a good quick project so the event was a lot of fun with a purpose!

The weather wasn't particularly kind, especially on Sunday. The hats in this photo were dripping from a heavy shower.In the end we resigned ourselves to being either wet or steaming!

Of course, there were opportunities for other entertainment. On Saturday I had a long lunch with Sally and Justine from the Miss Flip Knits podcast. My stomach ached from laughing by the time we had reported late for duty.

On Sunday Gerard from IKnit and I sneaked away, via the free gin tent (we were wet and chilled,it was medicinal) to the ferret racing.

For the uninitiated this is a ferret.

In theory these creatures are supposed to run through these ferret assault courses. In reality they are clearly so well fed that they are not motivated by the food reward at the end. In spite of the man with the megaphone. We were a little underwhelmed.
With all these distractions there hasn't been much spinning and knitting going on at Yarn Archive HQ.

I did, however, ply the first bump of the July Yarn Yard club yarn.

And I have started the entrelac scarf. I'm very pleased with how it is looking.


Even from the back. I think the rustic look of this pattern is a perfect partner for handspun. These calm closeups are deceptive, however. This small patch of knitting is the product of a frenzy of swatching, ripping and discarded needles. I started off with 48 stitches on 5.5mm needles. Much later it is now 24 stitches on 7.5mm needles.


It's now got the sort of drape that I am looking for and is narrow enough so that with luck and a fair wind I will get enough length to be good and swishy.

Must get going on the rest of the roving.

11 comments:

Miss 376 said...

Love the colours of that yarn.

sussexyorkie said...

Another project for my list, the scarf that is! Not spinning ;-)

Mel said...

Jane it looks fab. I am inspired to keep on trying with my hand spinning. Not sure I will ever get to that quality but boy am I having lots of fun. Good to see you at the fete too.

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

gin is renowned for its medicinal qualities, especially Bombay Sapphire!

Jo said...

Love the colours and the entrelac, you don't say how many wpi the yarn is and how much you've got (it looks quite fine as a single on the bobbin in the post below, I'm not being a purist just curious!) I find handspun can always be decieving when it come's to knitting!

Auntie Noo said...

As a regular at Game Fairs (thanks to the dear MrNoo) I have seen the ferrets achieve their task - it ain't that great when they do it!!! LOL. Loving the entrelac, beautiful colours.

Rosie said...

Gorgeous yarn, free gin: life sounds good. Mention of ferrets always reminds me of the time a friend convinced me that I should cuddle ehr ferrets so that I smelled (ie reeked) of ferret before we went badger watching. the theory is that badgers don't mind humans who are "disguised" by ferret smell. I saw zero badgers, and the ex-husband made me strip my clothes off in the garage when I got home (nb this was due to his dislike of the ferret aroma, as opposed to his finding ferret pherenomes a turn-on!)

Alison Boon said...

Poor ferrets. Love the yarn colours.

celadon2 said...

I was dreaming about ferrets last night, wondered where I'd got the image of a ferret from - now I remember I'd read your blog.

Unfortunately there was no spinning, not even a spinning ferret!

picperfic said...

I love the twist of that yarn and it looks like you have achieved what you set out to do with the entrelac too!

LittleBerry said...

the spinning and the scarf look fantastic and I envy your little corner of your garden...