Saturday, 9 August 2008

Bits and pieces and booby gussets

It's been a bit of a whirlwind of a week. All good, and mostly fibre related but has all shot by in a bit of a blur. What have I been doing?

Earlier this week I taught a Sock Masterclass for Socktopus Alice. I had four students and was delighted to discover that two of them had taken one of my beginners' classes and have been hooked on socks ever since.i don't think I could have been paid a higher compliment. So hello to Kathryn, Ali, Nora and Sarah. It was a pleasure to spend time with you all and I hope you enjoyed the class.

Below is a picture of the class project we worked on - a supremely useful cup holder, inspired by the mildly controversial pattern in the recent Guardian supplement, as a way to demonstrate a few fun colour work techniques.

I will be teaching this class at Iknit next Saturday and I believe there are still places left if anyone is interested, or in desperate need of a cup holder...

Another wonderful thing about the class was that all the participants are accomplished knitters in their own right and I always learn something from them.Kathryn had the most fabulous felted bag so of course I dashed home and ordered the book, and the handles.... I may limber up this weekend with some felted slippers.... I am like an impatient child.

I have, amazingly enough found time for a bit of knitting. It is with great delight and relief that I present the final happy couple from the Summer Pick 'n' Mix series. Phew! This is the Haystack sock again, done in a completely different colour combination to show how much the colour choice alters the look of the sock, she says, stating the blindingly obvious.

I have also been working away on the entrelac scarf. With 7.5mm needles this project is galloping along.I am going to have to get the rest of the fibre on the wheel before I run out! I estimate I should have plenty enough to make a long enough scarf for swishing about purposes. I have to say that I love the fabric - it's so gloriously uneven and random but,thanks to Natalie's colour sense, holds together perfectly.

Remember how I said, only last week that I was alarmed by how many knitting books I had? Ahem... Yesterday, my friend Anne and I decided that we needed an afternoon off so we made an appointment to visit the Felicity J Warne textile art bookshop in Enfield. I have met Felicity at various fibre shows and festivals and whilst I know that she only brings a small selection of books with her I had no idea what an Aladdin's cave of wonderful things her shop is. It is tucked away in a residential street so there is no way that you would know it was there unless told. In addition to all the textile art and design books she also has a good collection of womens' and social history books.

It's wonderful to meet someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about their work, and makes a good cup of tea too!

I was reasonably restrained in my purchases, limiting myself to half a dozen books that I couldn't possibly go home with out. This is the prize of my haul. I have been looking for this book for ages as it combines knitting and social history but has always been prohibitively expensive on Amazon. Felicity's pricing policy is knowledgeable but very fair.

This book is the social history of Hand Knitting and Spinning in New Zealand and I haven't been able to put it down. It has the usual complement of wonderful old photographs....

Of Mary McDonald knitting a jumper on long double pointed needles.

Of Jean Drummond whose hands are a blur of movement as she couldn't wait for the camera to complete its exposure to continue working on her sock.

Of course, whilst I aspire to be a serious minded social historian, when faced with a photo such as this, of course I have to giggle and point at the bosom gussets.


Oh dear....

9 comments:

Linda said...

Snigger .... bosom gussets .... snigger! ;0) *LOL*

theyarnyard said...

I think the bosom gussets are lovely. I can see them in the next Twist Collective selection, or maybe in Knitty.

Of course some of us need bigger gussets than others... what would the classification be?

Rosie said...

Eeek! Bosom gussets? I'm amazed there isn't a bobble worked in the centre of each...

K. said...

Those gussets are...interesting. Hee hee. I'm thinking about making myself sort of a cup holder because I believe my husband is guilty of stealing my water glass quite often. And sometimes I don't know which glass with water in it is mine...

sussexyorkie said...

Can't stop laughing about the gussets, I was brought up never to mention the other word or then again maybe it was the gusset word!!

Mandella said...

Last time I checked my Ravelry library there were 81 books in there. Good grief. No wonder my husband agonizes about the amount of stuff in this house.

Sue M said...

Wow not only are you like really famous now but you own a book about New Zealand knitting!

Miss 376 said...

Can you imagine having to wear that? lol, fantastic.

picperfic said...

wah...how peculiar, I guess they hadn't learnt about darts. You are such a busy lady, almost as busy as me haha! For me, anything craft related is never a chore, I couls fill my time with crafts all day long.