Tuesday, 1 July 2008

What do you mean it's over till next year?

Well, here I am back in London and I'm not sure where the weekend went. As away of reminding myself and giving you a brief glimpse of the world of Woolfest here are some of the photographs that I found on my camera when I got home.

Well I have to kick off with the Poster Couple of Woolfest, otherwise known as Natalie and Gavin of the Yarn Yard. It was lovely to catch up with them again, see their gorgeous stock and have that strange butterflies in the stomach sensation when I saw my patterns on the stand. The proximity of a man in a kilt didn't help so I trotted off to see what else was going on.

I should never have turned my back...

When I got back to the Knitting and Crochet Guild stand I found that my friend Laura, over come with excitement at some absolutely delicious blue silk yarn, had decided to wind it into a ball without the aid of swift or ball winder. Oh dear.... One of the wonderful things about Woolfest is that there is no shortage of helpful people with endless patience willing to step in and save the day. There are also people who offer helpful advice after the event and then take photographs. That would be me. In my defence I did feed them with cake to keep their strength up.

It was great fun volunteering on the Knitting and Crochet Guild Stand. Full marks to Wye Sue for her hard work in organising us as well as her inspiring knitting (that includes the knitted underwear!) If you want to see what I was doing hop on over to Ambermoggie's blog and laugh at my abrupt removal from my comfort zone of small objects and fine guage yarns. Being there also gave me a chance to meet up with old friends and to meet people I'd only known online up until then. A special hello to Rosie, Fran, Nevis Knitter, Mogiebear, Claire UK and Spinning Fishwife amongst others.

On Saturday evening I went along to the annual spin in. I was so overcome with the range and quantity of wheels and spindles and fibres that I didn't take as many photos as I should have done. If I'm honest I was also yapping a fair bit... I did get the chance to try a lovely Kromski Sonata which was very tempting...
Here, however, are a couple of random photos:
Have you ever seen a more perfect basket of rolags? The very patient lady who was spinning them was equally patient with me patting them and inviting perfect strangers to do the same. It was like a basket of clouds...

And here is a delightful lady who shared our table with one of the largest batts I have seen, from her own small flock of Dorset sheep.
Now that I have been spinning for a while, I can really appreciate the range of fibres and the skills of the people at Woolfest from the farmers to the wood turners, spinners, dyers, designers and knitters.

Before I get completely carried away - here are some gratuitous animal photos.

This is a sheep. I forgot to make a note of the breed so if anyone knows, please leave me a comment. Can't have an unnamed sheep on my blog.

Here is a somewhat baleful looking angora goat.

And a quite impossibly elegant young alpaca with a very fresh haircut.

With all these animals around, of course you need Bo Peep!

In case you are imagining that with all this excitement I did no shopping whatsoever, you would of course be sadly mistaken. I may well have been followed home by a wheel and a fleece and one or two bits and pieces besides.

More later....

11 comments:

susetheslowknitta said...

It looks wonderful. One day I will go to Woolfest, one day..

Arianne said...

The sheep you don't remember about is a Gotland I think...(or is it Gutefar?)

It's one of those two. I think...was it at the back end of the second row in from the main sheep stall area? If so I think it's Gotland...It has a lovely feeling fleece. There was a bag of it nearby (if it's the same one) and it's all crimpy and sheepy and lanoliny and lovely. :)

Auntie Noo said...

It's great to see so many lovely photos. I must get myself together for venturing up there one year.................... and did I read right???? a wheel???? - do tell!!!! :)

picperfic said...

Oh Jayne, what wheel did you get? I have my eye on the Kromski Sonata, roll on my birthday!! A lovely post, I enjoyed walking round with you!

Queen of the froggers said...

What a great time. I like your photo of N and I did think for a moment that the shepardess was you!!

stash haus said...

The weekend sounded wonderful! Someday I will return. And what a tease - keeping us waiting to see pictures of the purchases - especially a new wheel.

sussexyorkie said...

Woolfest is on the list for next year, I'm aclimatising himself to a weekend in the Lakes already then the shock won't be too much!

Malin said...

I think that is a Gotland sheep.

Now, what wheel did you get?

Terri said...

looks like you had a brill time!! I'm very envious;-)

kathryn said...

It sounds wonderful! Glad you had such a good time.

Anni said...

You're so lucky going to Woolfest. I'm determined ot make it next year.