Look at this - it looks like a weird underwater coral formation with the lanolin removed from all but the tips of the locks. Having read other people's comments about preparing the fleece I didn't want to use carders on it.
I pulled away a few locks, just to examine them, fascinated by the effect of the crimp, started to tease apart the tips and fluff them out a bit.
Then I got out my lightest Bosworth spindle, a 19 gram zebra wood and started to play with it. I was stunned at how easily and finely it spun straight from the lock into this beautifully silky single. It was quite addictive and I admit to sitting up into the wee small hours one night this week just because I was so transfixed with this stuff. It really was another one of those 'eureka' moments when a set of new skills and materials come together just perfectly.
Here is the spindle sitting next to the spindle of mule fibre to give you an idea of the contrast between the two.
I am planning to spin up another spindle of this fibre then ply them together. It is wonderful to just sit and pull locks from the bag, enjoying the tactile pleasure and getting an even more immediate sense of transforming fleece into yarn. I think I would like this to be a two ply yarn which I think I will leave in its original colour as it is such a clear, creamy white and make a little winter shoulder shawl.
This makes me quite unreasonably happy!