Thursday, 31 July 2008

Greens are good for you

When we have an extended period of warm weather I find myself living more and more in the garden, spending less and less time within the confines of four walls. This means that essentials have to follow me out into my favourite corner. I think the wheel looks quite at home.

Of course, other essentials have to come too.


As you may have noticed, my Yarn Yard merino silk is now on my bobbin. I am aiming for a double knit sort of weight and, as I am planning an entrelac shawl, I don't want my colour runs to be too long. I want random squares of colour rather than half stripes of colour blocks. I am, as you can see, stripping the roving down into pencil sized pieces and predrafting.


The single is starting to look like this:
Keeping an even yet thicker single than I have become accustomed to spinning is quite a challenge but I'm learning to adjust the wheel so that it works with me in this quest. I am also planning to do a normal two ply finish on this yarn as I want as many pairings of colour throughout the yarn as possible to give maximum interest to the entrelac.

Now I've stated my intentions, I'm a little nervous about what the final product will look like but it's all part of the learning process isn't it?

7 comments:

sussexyorkie said...

As a non spinner all I can say is wow. Love the mug, I resisted when we were in the Lakes.

Lin said...

I love sitting outside to spin, your yarn looks good. I have got to that spinning stage where I can only spin a thin yarn, its wierd how it goes like that isn't it? I am going to try thicker yarns next.

celadon2 said...

That looks so beautiful. The colours of the fleece are amazing aren't they? I just keep getting it out and looking at it.

Mandella said...

If I was spinning outside now I'd be getting soaked!

picperfic said...

I am sure it will look just gorgeous, love the colours!

Kathryn said...

I love your green corner - it looks so peaceful.

Anni said...

Gorgeous spinning as always.