Tuesday, 8 July 2008

By George, I think she's got it! (TdeF content)

Well, perseverance has it's reward - I have finally produced a scrap of lace worth looking at. This is half the width of the shawl with 38 rows completed. There are four stitch patterns plus some dividing stitches with one pattern repeating over two rows with pattern stitches back and front (yes, genuine lace!), one pattern repeating over four rows and two over twenty which makes it easy to keep track of things.

Here is a slightly closer view, minus the festoon of stitch markers and T pins.

The ideas behind the stitch patterns are,from left to right, tyre tracks for the sprinters, a winding path representing the mountain stages for les Maillots aux Pois Rouges, more tyre tracks then some diamond shapes to represent the Peleton. Finally, the lines of stacked eyelets represent the rows of riders in the Grand Depart. The patterns are mirrored on the other side of the stole.

Now it's just a question of how much stamina I have to complete as much as possible before the end of the tour. Anyone seen my helmet?

11 comments:

Aknita said...

I think that's looking wonderful and well worth looking at :-)

Great links to the KAL too - I like your style.

I did some sock knitting on the Bakerloo line recently between Paddington and Elephant and Castle. I had some VERY odd looks.

m1k1 said...

I think that pattern must make you a firm favourite to take out the intermediate sprint in the "relation to TDF" category. Excellent work.

Sarah said...

Very pretty work and I love the pattern choices

Auntie Noo said...

It looks really lovely. And great TdeF links to your patterns, very clever!!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!!! Fran

knittingtastic said...

Le Germolene is looking so beautiful! I can't wait to see the final result...are you still planning on the charity pattern?
I came off my bike today and was in need of Germolene if you can spare a wee dab!

Anni said...

Very pretty lace. cna't wait to see the completed item.

riggwelter said...

oh that's looking wonderful, well done you!

gemma said...

I hate to say this, since we are competing in the polka dot category, but your lace is lovely.
Cheers, bon chance!

knitseashore said...

What a beautiful shawl! Will you be selling your pattern? I'd love to purchase a copy, to knit and wear at the races. :)

Purlrose said...

Your lace is brilliant. Knitting it is one thing,but making up your own design is in another league. The TdF theme is really good. You could get ASO to market the pattern with their Tour souveniers!

Good luck in the sprint!