Sunday, 22 June 2008

Summer Pick n' Mix

You're right, I've milked this for far too long - time to show you my latest design project. May I introduce the Summer Pick n' Mix Socks. They will be another Yarn Yard exclusive and will be launched at Woolfest this coming weekend.


When Natalie first asked if I wold like to do another Woolfest pattern we'd had a couple of sunny days followed by a distinct cold snap. So, I thought I would do something light and summery and being the British geek that I am, with due respect to the unpredictability of our climate, something that I could wear under my Birkenstock sandals if it got a bit nippy.

The first pattern I came up with was this one which I sent to Natalie.

'The sock's very nice', she said carefully. 'I'm just not sure about those haystacks'.

'They're supposed to be flowers' I replied.

Silence briefly ensued.

We talked a little more and I got to thinking about how we all have different tastes and wouldn't it be fun to design something more like a Pick n' Mix? A menu of choices so that knitters could come up with their own favourite combination of stitch patterns and yarns. If there was an aspect of the sock that they didn't particularly like, there is another alternative. An invitation to have fun with their own creativity.

I love playing with colour so I thought I would design a set of patterns which showcase how many ways there are to mess around with colour that are fun and accessible.

Summer socks are a bit shorter than their cosy winter cousins and when there are so many other things to do,a sock with an interesting section followed by a relaxing plain foot seems perfect for all those knitting out of doors opportunities we hope for in the finer weather.

The socks that I have knit are just examples of possible combinations.

Here is a clutch of different edgings; a picot, a two colour picot, a plain edge and a scallop.

The leg patterns move solids and hand painted yarns around to create different effects. These socks are also a great way to use up small amounts of leftover sock yarn in an interesting way.
There are different ways to incorporate colour into the heels;

And the toes.
Natalie tells me her favourite is the pink and green, by the way!

I have thoroughly enjoyed playing with these frivolous, colourful summery ideas, diving into my stash and coming up with colour combinations that make me smile. These are lighthearted little confections of socks.
Only one drawback...

I've got a terrible case of second sock syndrome....

17 comments:

Paula said...

They look great. I shall be keeping an idea out for them on the Yarn yard as I can't go to woolfest.

yogicknitter said...

Not only are they pick n mix combos they are lovely pick n mix sweetie colours too.

Marianne said...

They look like flowers to me :^)
Very pretty!

Nikki said...

Those are fabulous! And while I did think they looked like flowers, once you said haystacks, I could see that too. Either way I like 'em!

Rosie said...

Love them all, especially the ones with "haystacks". And surelky, as these are "pick'n'mix", it doesn't matter if you get second sock syndrome, as long as you make several varieties and just pick'n'mix?

Can see I'll be spending both time and money at Natalie's stall...

LittleBerry said...

thats a great idea.... I like the green ones best too although the flowering haystacks are rather nice....

LittleBerry said...

thats a great idea.... I like the green ones best too although the flowering haystacks are rather nice....

Queen of the froggers said...

They are very summery, I like the haystack pattern!

Auntie Noo said...

They're all lovely. You clever lady!!! :) And haystacks or flowers, they're very summery and pretty!

sparkleduck said...

I love the stripey toes on the green ones, and am looking forward to the pattern!

Cazzie said...

I love the Haystacks :)

picperfic said...

well i love the haystacks! Don;t they look lovely all together? I wonder if they've got their partners yet?

natalie said...

You could always wear odd ones... then everyone would know who you are at Woolfest!

natalie

PS I love them all actually... can't wait to see them "on the blocker" on Thursday.

knittingtastic said...

Another triumph! Fab socks as always Jane and the perfect compliment to Natalie's yarn. So jealous I won't be at Woolfest :(

kathryn said...

What really pretty colours just in time for Summer.

Terri said...

Great socks, I love them all:-)

Anni said...

Gorgeous socks and colours.