Tuesday, 17 June 2008

Knitters go wild in London (again)

As it was World Wide Knit in Public day on Saturday it was only right for knitters to go out and about again. This time Ellen and I went to Vauxhall City Farm for their Sheep and Wool Day. As you can see they have some lovely old buildings.

This time we managed to arrive in time for the sheep shearing. Allow me to introduce Lamby. Lamby is a one year old Black Wensleydale which makes her a rarity amongst rare breeds. It was also her first shearing which makes her a very apprehensive sheep.

Things don't get much better for poor Lamby...
The shearer was very knowledgeable and gave a detailed talk on how the sheep feels when it is being sheared ie convinced that she is about to be eaten and how she needs to be held securely for her own safety and the safety of the shearer. Whilst I found his talk very informative I did rather feel for Lamby who was probably wishing that he would just get on with it.

Here she is half shorn and what really struck me was the blue black colour of her fleece underneath, away from the sun bleached ends.She really is a very beautiful sheep.

Vauxhall City Farm hosts a spinners group that meets every Saturday who I really do want to go and join one of these days. Lamby's fleece will be used by them. They also have a small dyers garden and run classes in natural dying. I was very taken with this impressive woad.

There was also a sale of arts and crafts created by the fibre artists who meet there. Being involved in fibre arts myself I really appreciate the work that people produce and am keen to support them. I particularly fell in love with these greetings cards made from embellished wet felt.
This one has a three dimensional effect with a button embroidered into it.
Plenty of knitting in public was done,both at the farm and on public transport.I have two more little snippets of work to show you.

Put your sunglasses on for this...

and for the more soberly attired we have this...



Things are taking shape...

8 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

Lambys fleece looks lovely. I am hoping to get to our local rare breeds show again this year ... with a new take on it now being a spinner! The fibre cards look nice.

LittleBerry said...

looks you had agreat time and lamby is a lovely colour underneath....

sussexyorkie said...

Lovely, Lovely cards. Interesting snatches of knitting aswell.

picperfic said...

you do whizz about Jane! I never know where you are going to end up next and it is always somewhere interesting. I went to the sheep and wool day at Wimpole Hall and enjoyed the talk from the shearer there, although I have to say I am with you regarding the anxiety of the sheep being sheered!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

what a fascinating place! Lamby looks amazing with and without her fleece.

kathryn said...

Your Sheep and Wool day looks great fun.

And your little snippets are lovely - how I envy you your talent for colour combining.

Rosie said...

Do you think they've a small corner where I could go and live? It looks heavenly. and I adorre those dazzling colours...

knit nurse said...

I have just started spinning with Lamby's fleece - it is very dirty, but the staple is sooooo long, and it spins up beautifully!