Monday, 12 May 2008

The ups and downs of spinning (Includes May Yarn Yard fibre club content)

After all the excitement it's good to get back to reality and talk about spinning. I've now finished the companion skein to my April Yarn Yard Fibre Club offering and am pretty pleased with it. The fibre was split roughly into its constituent colours and spun separately. Close inspection will reveal that I have produced a much more rustic (unevenly spun) yarn this time. It's true, spinning heavier yarn evenly is harder than you think!

I've only spun 100g of the April fibre and hot on its heels is the May offering. People who have yet to receive their parcel may wish to look away now. Everyone else, feast your eyes on this...
It's a wonderful, grown up, subtle blend of pinks, greys and apricot with highlights of white on merino tencel which gives it a wonderful sheen

In keeping with my new found spirit of adventure I decided that it was time that I stopped producing yarn that looks like this:

and tackled the art of Navajo plying so that the colour changes are more subtle.

The candy cane, incidentally, belongs to the diner that Anne and I had breakfast at on our last day in Frederick. Look at the colour of that sky!. The diner was an absolutely fabulous quintessentially small town American establishment straight out of the 1950s. It was a perfect way to end our trip. While I'm saying my farewells to America I would just like to say thanks to Anne for being a fabulous travelling companion and to her family for their warm hospitality. I had a wonderful time.

Where was I? Oh yes... playing for time.I also thought it would be a really good idea to use one of my lovely new spindles so got out the lightest of my Goldings and spent a good couple of hours producing some reasonably fine singles. However, I hadn't taken enough care to wind them tightly and consistently enough onto the shaft. When I came to start plying they slipped and slid all over each other and I managed to reduce an afternoon's work to this...

I was not pleased. However, at least I had an idea of how I had managed to arse it up so I just had to suck it up and start again. I am completely charmed by using this dainty little drop spindle and am producing some fine and even singles on it which shimmer beautifully.

I have been plying it onto my red oak Bosworth midi and am rather pleased with the results. It's certainly a more long winded process than wheel spinning but I love the simplicity of it and feel as though I have scrutinised every last inch.

Sitting in the garden in the evening sunshine with a spindle and some beautiful fibre seems a fine way to welcome the summer don't you think?

5 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

Your spindle singles look great. I don't really know how to spin singles, how do you do it enough so that it doesn't fall apart but not so twisty you can't knit with it? The April club tarn is lovely, the way you split the colours is such a good idea!

Dalesgirl said...

I love your new spindles - and what gorgeous singles - sounds like a perfect evening in the sun to me - Samantha

Rosie said...

I love that "rustic" yarn and your gorgeous spindles. Looking forward to seeing how the May yarn yarnd fibre works out!

LittleBerry said...

Love your April fibre... what you doing to do with it? Mine is still in my stash...

I like your spindle spinning looks lovely ad even but I think I would have probably felt the same way as you after your afternoons work ended up looking like frothy bubbles, but we live and learn...

Mia said...

So did you try the food at the Barbara Fritchie place? That sign is a way to know I am home.