Sunday, 25 May 2008

Not just jam and Jerusalem

In case anyone was worried there was cake at the Women's Institute Crafternoon... The carrot cake was delicious. I've never taken part in anything like this before so didn't really know what to expect. Here is my little corner. I wanted to show people as many parts of the process as I could, from fluff to finished object. There was plenty of interest and I didn't manage to clatter my spindle to the floor too often!

Laura brought along a very interesting scrapbook that someone had painstakingly compiled from cuttings of beautifully intricate crochet designs. She discovered it at a car boot sale and felt that it was far too beautiful not to be rescued.

There were also some other very talented crafters at the event. Here are two very beautiful quilts.

And look at this Knitivity!

In other news I am about to head off to the Isle of Wight for a few days with my sister and her kids to annoy our dad. She doesn't know it yet but part of her belated birthday present is the Manos clapotis. I have also put together a couple of presents for the kids from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival - a couple of colourful drop spindles (I keep producing festival booty like rabbits out of a hat, I know). I've made them up little packets of multi coloured fluff and thought that as the weather forecast is not marvellous, they might enjoy having a bit of a play with these. I'll let you know how we get on!

As far as knitting news is concerned, I remain obsessed with the Schaeffer Heather sock and have already finished the first one. It will becoming to the Island with me so there may be a pair to report when I see you next. Of course they are going to be accompanied by the usual entourage of the rest of the sock family plus several potential band members in the form of spare balls of sock yarn.


Well I wouldn't want to run out would I?

I nearly forgot to say. I had a lovely comment from Nick, who makes the sock blockers who said that if anyone orders a set of blockers and mentions this blog they will get a free set of stitch markers.

13 comments:

Nikki said...

What a great Auntie you are! You know my favorite Aunt (and she was my favorite before this) taught me how to crochet which led to knitting 10 yrs later and we all know how that spiral is! So I'm especially grateful to her for that! In fact other than my folks, she's the only one I've knit socks for!

sussexyorkie said...

I love the Isle of Wight lucky you to have grown up there, have fond memories of many family holidays in Sandown. If you and the drop spindle are in the Brighton area, do drop in, I need help or maybe I need to loiter in London more!

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

the WI show looked fab, the members made some fabulous stuff, glad you enjoyed yourself!

Rosie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosie said...

Grr, I really must proof read before I click on publish!

The crafternoon sounds really good. Am most intrigued by that crochet sample book.

You are a most inspring aunt; I was wondering how on earth to entertain my nieces on Friday and had dismissed the idea of getting them to try out my wheel but now I think they might quite enjoy it!

Last time I visited the IoW (to see my favourite aunt) i knitted a sock whilst queueing for, and travelling on, the ferry and lots of people came up to ask me what I was doing. Met some wonderful people that day!

LittleBerry said...

Hope you have agreat time on the IoW with your family...

Your display looks great at the WI and I love that sock,

Dalesgirl said...

Wow I ordered some Sock Blockers from Nick before your last post - when I mentioned your blog he emailed me about the stitch markers - how cool is that!!!!

Queen of the froggers said...

The WI looked great, quite like the stuff out local craft guild do. (Who I would really love to join but don't have the time!) The IOW is great, only a short way from us too. Pop in for tea if you want!

Mandella said...

I hope you had a great weekend. The weather wasn't too bad in the end, was it, so I wonder how much use the spindles got?

I wish I'd got to got to the WI show.

Anni said...

Wow, lucky kids. Their own spinning kits. Can I come iwht you? Love your sock and your corner at the WI event. Have a nice time away.

Sally said...

Thanks for posting about the blockers Jane - have just ordered my set with the stitch markers, I think they are exactly what I have been looking for!

picperfic said...

oh how exciting about the sock blockers and stitch markers, makes me want to order some!

I bet the children will love the spindle sets...you are a lovely Aunty!

littlelixie said...

Afraid I've tagged you...always feel guilty about things like this! Details on my blog.