Thursday, 1 May 2008

New line-up for the sock family...and a tribute

One last post before I start packing to head off for Maryland Sheep and Wool. I've got plenty of time - how long does it take to pack four pairs of nickers and a toothbrush into my largest rucksack... Planning a little stash enhancement? Who me?

Must be the anticipation of wool fumes because oh yes, I'm on a roll. Another pair of socks is done and dusted. Emerging from the foliage we have the Mountain Colors Bearfoot sock, started on two circulars and finished by magic loop. These are very thick, fuzzy socks so with any luck can sit in the sock drawer for a few months until the weather is chilly again. I'm sure it will start to get warmer soon...

So, now I have worked my way through my little stock of half finished socks I can start a new one! A quick dive into my sock yarn stash produced this lively little number in one of my favourite sock yarns, Apple Pie by Apple Laine. I just love the way that the silk in the yarn makes the colours glow.


With the completion of the Wishbone socks I also allowed myself the indulgence of casting on another lace sock. I have chosen the Scroll Lace Sock from Bowerbird Knits. I placed this one under the 'challenging' heading as it uses another beautiful yarn from my stash, Schaeffer Anne, which is much thinner than most sock yarns.These socks, therefore use 2mm needles and 80 stitches in contrast to my usual 60. The lace pattern also has pattern stitches on every row which,I understand makes it a 'true lace'. Whilst I love the yarn and the stitch pattern, I was worried that making them would be as long and boring as a prog rock guitar solo but surprisingly enough I have really got into the pattern and they are positively zipping along!


So may I present the new line up for the sock family which is completed by Miss Mattie's Stashbuster spirals where I have made a good start on the second leg. Given the rate at which I am churning out socks at the moment, the sock family is going through more line up changes than The Fall so have a good look - blink and you'll miss it.

In an attempt to wean myself away from total immersion in the world of socks I have made my first tentative step in proper lace knitting with laceweight and everything and have cast on the enigmatically titled Large Rectangle from Victorian Lace Today. I'm using Jaggerspun Zephyr in a very sophisticated natural shade called suede. I'm about 10 rows in and to be honest, at the moment it looks like something I've just combed off the cat but I shall press on. Eventually, I am assured, a leaf and trellis design will emerge, surrounded by a trellis border. So, in honour of the late lamented Humphrey Lyttleton who passed away this week, I am naming my version of the shawl, Mrs Trellis. I'm sure listeners of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue will approve.

Off to polish my tallboy...

9 comments:

Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

A fitting tribute to the late great Humph, and the lovely Samantha of course!

Rosie said...

Have a marvellous time. (Really looking forward to hearing about it, can't tell you how much I enjoyed my "virtual vacation" whilst you were in Australia). And I *love* the idea of a Mrs Trellis tribute knit. Careful with the tallboy!

Nikki said...

see you soon! :D

LittleBerry said...

Look forward to seeing what you enhance your stash with...

Looking forward to seeing your Lace photos...

Auntie Noo said...

Have a good time. Poor old "Humph" eh? :(

Queen of the froggers said...

Have a really great time, is there room for me in your suitcase?! I would love to go there.

kathryn said...

I love the Leaf and Trellis pattern and I think it will look lovely in that subtle shade.

I'm never cease to be amazed at how beautiful blocked lace is compared with how messy it looks on the needles. It is such a transformation.

celadon2 said...

Love all the socks, even more the sock blockers.

Could you let on where you get them from?

Mira said...

Thanks for writing this.