Tuesday, 6 May 2008

Just a little appetiser...

This morning I flew back in from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.After being awake all night and doing a full day's work today I am a little bit sleepy so this post will be a quickie with a few random images to whet your appetite. The whole experience was such a benign assault on the senses that sometimes it was hard to remember to take photographs but here are some of the images that I captured.


Knitting mill in Frederick.
Man making traditional brooms at the festival. Alongside the more fibre related stands were all kinds of vendors busily keeping traditional crafts alive.

In all the message boards that I read there were dire warnings about weather and crowds. As you can see from this photo, the weather couldn't have been better and the crowds, despite there being good numbers were not uncomfortable to those of us who have experienced Ally Pally. There were inexplicably long queues for Socks that Rock but apart from that it was possible to visit each booth without too much discomfort. I'm sure I'm missing out loads of good stuff so I will leave you with some quintessentially American fairground food stands.


Look at this beauty. For the uninitiated, funnel cake appears to be dough piped into hot fat then dusted with icing sugar served in portions the size of your head. Very tasty it is too...

And how about this for a stunning bit of art deco? Pickings for the health conscious or vegetarian are slim to say the least but the smells of fairground foods added to the festive atmosphere enormously.
Tomorrow we get down to the main event....


3 comments:

Nikki said...

and I thought I was tired!! I'm so glad you got your own hot funnel cake. (mmmm funnel cake! :) ) and I promise to only tell you like 3 more times but I'm still just so tickled that we got to meet!!

Queen of the froggers said...

Can't wait to hear all the details, and the flight info. I might do that next year!

Jenny said...

Oh, Jane, you really made me chuckle. You reminded me of the fairground foods of my youth. What fun! Not healthy eating, of course, but definitely fun stuff. I'm glad to hear you had a good time in the States. Can't wait to see your stash enhancement!