Thursday, 29 May 2008

Catching them young!

I'm back from the Isle of Wight and look what we have to show you!

George, Florrie and I are very proud to present what we made this weekend - First Skein Key Rings! I'm pleased to say that they are both enthusiastic and attentive students who are a joy to teach. We broke the process down into elements so that they got plenty of practice at the component parts of the task like choosing colours, peeling off a piece of roving (like peeling a banana) drafting, spinning and winding with a bit of help from me when doing two things at once was a bit much.

Florrie who is 5, and I pretended that the twist was a cheeky little mouse that would escape unless we kept a close eye on it. George, who is 8 and more of a scientist found similarities in the process to how grandad's self winding watch works with the energy that we put into spinning the spindle being released slowly to twist the fibre. I think that explaining things to children helps my understanding too.

We did a little bit every day so that it didn't become boring and on the last night, after they had gone to bed I Navajo plied the yarn that they had created, made it into a mini skein and put a key ring at the end. I wanted them to have something tangible to remind them of their first spinning project. My sister would like me to point out that Florrie's hands are covered with felt tip pen, not dirt, by the way. At least not much dirt....

Before I get carried away with my prowess as a teacher I would like to point out that in typical British Bank Holiday style, the weather somewhat favoured indoor activities. Here is a typical picture postcard seaside view:

The family scanned the horizon hopefully for any signs of blue sky.


Which only appeared as I left on the ferry this evening. Grrrr......

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Looks like y'all had a good time despite the weather though!

LittleBerry said...

looks like a good time was had by all... and you're certainly a good teacher... they're lovely key rings

picperfic said...

I think you would teach me well too...I ike the story of the mouse although I might have to let it go.... squeal!!!

Queen of the froggers said...

What a great way to teach the children! I love the mini skeins.

Anni said...

Great spinning. They'll want a spinning wheel soon.

Mandella said...

Catch 'em young indeed. I tagged you for a meme, btw, but only if you'd like to.

TutleyMutley said...

What did your sister think of her clapotis?

Those keyrings are inspired - and I love the mucky hands!