Sunday, 18 May 2008

Beaucoup de Clapotis

The list of work in progress was getting a bit long so I thought it was time I cracked on with something so here is my finished clapotis. It is made from Manos Silk which is a glorious blend of silk and wool which is next to the skin soft. It is a slightly lighter yarn than the pattern recommends so I went down a needle size and did a couple more repeats of the main body pattern rows. I used about two and a half skeins.

Having finished this piece it occurred to me that over the past few years I have returned to this pattern a number of times. The main reason for this is that I really like wearing them and that they show off a yarn without overwhelming it. It is also nice, when I don't have the mental energy to do anything particularly complicated to settle back with a simple project.

I will be honest, however, I find that I really enjoy the first part where I am increasing the number of stitches and getting to know the new yarn, then even more exciting, the straight rows where I get to start dropping stitches on purpose! This novelty lasts for a certain while then, usually about half way through the straight rows the whole thing gets very dull indeed and I wonder what on earth made me start another one of these confounded things and who cares about dropping stitches anyway? Thankfully, pressing on is rewarded in the final phase where the number of stitches are decreased. Not only do the rows get faster and faster but you get to drop stitches at both sides at once! Before you know it you've finished, sewed in the two ends and are swishing around in it planning for the next one - or is that just me?

Just to show you my enthusiasm for the clapotis (despite having no idea what the plural is) I have rummaged around upstairs and cam present...


Beaucoup de clapotis! None of these are knit in the recommended yarn but from left to right they are made in Schaeffer Gertrude Ederle, Noro Silk Garden, Hipknits Aran Silk, Noro again and the newest member in the Manos. I have made more but have given them away,

But I haven't just been knitting...

Here is my first skein of the Yarn Yard Club Fibre. I am absolutely in love with it but I don't like to think how long this took me. Here we have approximately 84 metres weighing 18 grammes which feels like a sort of light fingering/ heavy lace weight. There is still movement in the colour but what I like best about this method of plying is the rounded shape of the plied yarn. Even with my earlier wastage I have another 170 grammes to go!

Here's a rather arty closer look. Yes, I have now worked out how to use the macro facility on my camera...

I'm thinking of making a nice frothy lace scarf with it. Maybe something like this on Kathryns blog.

Lasty, in keeping with the French theme of the title, we're starting to think about the Tour de France Knitalong again. I had great fun last year so why not join us? Sign ups start in early June so plenty of time to limber up!

11 comments:

LittleBerry said...

Clapotis looks great... it's one thing I've never even thougth about attempting....

Love the YY fibre... mine has gone in my stash for the moment. I'm just plying(2ply) some Spunky Eclectic to make a laceweight yarn, hopefully it will be similar to Zephyrspun Laceweight when I'm done..

natalie said...

There's a TdeF spinalong too somewhere...

I think it's called the Tour de Fleece.

n

Jeanne said...

Clapotis is gorgeous - I've only made one so far, but I think it would be so nice in the Manos Silk. Love the YY fiber - gorgeous!

Linda said...

I have yet to make a Clapotis yet, although I've thought about it for long enough - but seeing all of yours has spurred me on! They look great. :0) Especially as I was thinking of using some Hipknits silk aran for my first ........... ;0)

kathryn said...

I love your clapotis,and it was very useful to see how the different yarns look in the one pattern. I want to get some Andrea silk - Elena Piscopia is the one I'm thinking of - and a clapotis would do it justice.

But I especially love your pink spun yarn and I think it would show off really well in the flutter scarf.

sussexyorkie said...

The Manos silk is still lovely, I'm trying to hold out. Am almost half way through the Flutter Scarf and your very well spun pink will be perfect for it.

Queen of the froggers said...

Your herd of Clapoti look wonderful. It is the one knitted thing that I have worn constantly so I think that I need some in more colours too!
The fibre is lovely, I am still on the first bobbin of mine. Doing only 1/2 hour a day so it will take a while I think. The scarf pattern is beautiful.

K. said...

I am thinking of making another Clapotis for the Tour de France KAL this year. Maybe for you your next Tour de Clapotis, you could use your own handspun...

Anonymous said...

Lovely- believe it or not I have not yet knit a Clapotis, but have thought about doing so many times. I shall have to investigate the manos, it looks wonderful and the colours look lovely. Just out of interest, approx. what were the dimensions of your manos Clapotis?
carol

Squiblet said...

I love all your Clapotis, they look wonderful and drapey.
I'm considering knitting one myself I think. Probably out of tofutsies though.

Anni said...

gorgeous Clapotis. I'm in love iwht Manos Silk Blend right now. I'm working on a shawl right now nad I'm about to start on a jumper in it.