Thursday, 22 May 2008

All of a flutter

The last time I posted, for some reason I was very very sleepy so I wasn't as careful as usual to include the details of my projects. Attentive readers have asked that I pull myself together and fill in the gaps!

The Shawl is Truly Tasha's Shawl (well spotted, Diana) which is a free pattern by Nancy Bush. It is knitted in Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed in the colour called Ambrosia.The yarn, despite being tweedy in appearance is a butter soft blend of merino, cashmere and silk. Who could want more?
Eagle eyed Terri noticed that I was displaying my socks on Extra Long Blockers.They are from the same supplier as the others, Chappy's Fiber Arts and Crafts , an EBay seller.
Seems the house was divided on the question of Wham! Permatans, enough hairspray to make their own personal hole in the ozone layer, what's not to love?
Thanks to everyone for their lovely comments. I hope I have answered your questions properly.
Anyway, back to the knitting...


I thought it was about time we reviewed the sock family again. I have come to the conclusion that my habitual dull wittedness on public transport means that there is a higher turnover of bog standard socks than anything else, even if I knit them extra long. A new young pretender has been introduced to the family and I have to admit that it isn't just simplicity that is drawing me to this sock, tactile pleasure has a lot to do with it too.


This is a fairly new yarn that I haven't tried before, Schaeffer Heather. It feels a lot different to the Schaeffer Anne that I am using for the scroll lace sock. It is a much plumper, richer feeling yarn made from a blend of merino and silk. The colours are really saturated and have a gorgeous sheen. It also stripes quite well with no nasty pooling! I can highly recommend this yarn.
Speaking of the scroll lace...

Here is a gratuitous close up of the stitch pattern. I am making a lot faster progress than I thought I would as the pattern has such an easy rhythm.I have reduced the number of stitches in the foot also as the sock was looking a bit baggy where the stocking stitch foot wasn't pulling the circumference in as the stitch pattern does.

Finally, here is why I am all of a flutter.I have made a start on the Flutter Scarf . So far, I'm really pleased with the way the scarf is turning out. I've only done about 20 centimetres so far, but then again I only have 84 odd metres of yarn. But just look at it...


The yarn is a little heavier than the yarn specified so I have gone up a needle size or two to a 4mm. What I'm particularly pleased about is that I have been able to preserve the lovely subtle colour changes in Natalie's roving. I am thoroughly enjoying this project and am feeling quite proud of my first proper drop spindle project and Navajo plying.

Which is a good thing as I have just been persuaded to demonstrate drop spindling at a Women's Institute 'Crafternoon' on Saturday.

There'd better be cake....

5 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

I like the sound of the Schaeffer Heather. I didn't like the schaeffer anne as it was too fluffy for me! Your socks look great, and thank you for the link to the shawl too. Have fun with the WI ... fingers crossed for cake!

RooKnits said...

I love the scroll lace. They are beautiful.

Rosie said...

It's not a proper WI if there isn't any cake!

Your yarn for flutter is beautiful.

picperfic said...

I didn't realise it was possible to make such fine yarn using a drop spindle, I really need some lessons in spinning, it looks like a lot of fun! I think I need to destash forst though, this house is bursting at the seams! Love the socks as usual...M

celadon2 said...

Oh thanks for the link for the sock blockers, I've always admired them. And the beautiful socks too.