Wednesday, 2 April 2008

Why do you never pack a chainsaw when you need one?

A very busy day today.

We started out after breakfast running various errands but stopping off at the Op Shop yielded a fine haul of two cracking 1980's knitting books and 100g of emerald green wool for less than $2.

I think these books are a god example of how, depending on which ne you pick up, you can consider the 1980s to be deliciously retro or the decade that taste forgot...


Yes, the cover photo of Designer Knits really is as monstrous as it first appears...


But nothing can prepare you for the koala in a yellow frock...


The other book, however, is much more tasteful with some rather pretty designs shot in that soft focus Flake advert sort of way.

I was equally lucky at the local fruit and veg market, laying my hands on some beautiful fresh coriander, lemongrass, chillies, galangal and ginger so I can make some of my renowned Thai curry paste for fish curry at the weekend.



We arrived at the salvage yard at about 11 and by 1pm had 200 bricks cleaned and packed into the back of the Ute. We chatted to the owner who took great delight in showing us the pile of stone from the demolition of the Sale prison. I wonder what it will eventually become...

While I remember, for those of you wondering where in Australia I am, I am in south east Victoria in the hills of the Strzlecki Ranges near Yarram in Gippsland, about three hours drive from Melbourne.

As we headed home the wind started to get stronger, and stronger and stronger.... Several trees had fallen across the road home and I could tell that Leon was getting nervous as he asked me if I was alright. Once again I am reminded how vulnerable we are and how much nature really is in charge here. Luckily there was nothing down across the road that we couldn't deal with with hand saws but at times with the trees creaking and groaning around our heads as we sawed and dragged wood, my heart was beating a little faster than usual. It is lovely to be back at the house in one piece so we poured stiff gin and tonics to celebrate.

I plan to spend the evening quietly with my knitting. It really is the best thing for steadying the nerves.

4 comments:

sussexyorkie said...

I find G & T is a cure all! Your journey sounds worth it for the haul though.

natalie said...

Fegrig would be proud of you!

n

Queen of the froggers said...

I miss decent sized lemongrass, Tescos ones are titchy! The trees are fragile aren't they, glad you had the knitting to calm you.

Nikki said...

I'm so enjoying reading of your adventures...