Friday, 4 April 2008

Of turning heels, brick tossing and the perfect prawn curry

I've just come back from staying the night with other members of the extended family, catching up with news, chatting about and eating good food and teaching my friend Jess the mysteries of turning a sock heel. It was lovely to spend time with someone who has stash and multiple works in progress so doesn't consider me too peculiar. We even watched an American knitting show on cable TV - fascinating! Jess is left handed so it was quite a challenge to make sure I was teaching in the right direction but very good practice! I think she has all the makings of a very proficient sock knitter. I also finished Leon's hat....
Leon came and picked me up in the afternoon. We only got as far as the bottom of his hill and stopped for a couple of hours to clean some of the less beautiful bricks he has had delivered to line the cellar. We have done 700 of the 1700. I also learned how to throw and catch bricks for most efficient stacking - more to it than meets the eye!

Before I left the house, yesterday I made a Thai curry paste which has been sitting overnight to develop its flavours. I added coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves and made a particularly spectacular prawn curry if I say so myself. We are now wishing we hadn't eaten quite so much...

4 comments:

littlelixie said...

Am very concerned you are not going to come back this time. However, that mention of the sock class reassures me. Just a quick note to say I am gagging to sue your interview in a podcast but felt it was unfair to do it while you were slogging away in a cauliflower field. So am tentatively pencilling it in for weekend 19/20 April. Very tentative though what with my track record of scheduling.

You do write very evocatively about it all. Looking forward to pics.

littlelixie said...

Use. Use your interview. Not going to sue you. Dur.

yorkshiregirl said...

I think I would like the recipe for the perfect prawn curry!

Ruthanne (in Seattle) said...

I would love to see the prawn curry recipe too. Sounds lovely! Can't wait for you to have blog pictures again. . . sure sounds like you're having a wonderful time.