Thursday, 17 April 2008

Of low hanging fruit and plans for adventure

In my first few days back in the UK, whilst I was struggling to come to terms with work and cold weather and big city life there were two main themes dominating my knitting. First came the urge to spring clean and get some of the things that had been on the needles for a while finished so that I could launch myself at new things with a clear (ish) conscience. The second was, at least for the first few days, my overextended and slightly travel fuzzed brain could really only cope with stocking stitch.

So, first off the needles came some low hanging fruit in the person of these green socks, knitted in Colinette Jitterbug as part of the last course I taught at IKnit. All they needed was the second toe to be closed. I'm not sure why they hung around for so long. I like the texture of Jitterbug but wasn't too keen on the way the colours pooled. I am becoming much more discerning in the hand paint yarns that I will buy now as I expect the dyer to not only think about the way the yarn looks in the skein, but also about what the effect will be in a knitted object. I have been spoiled by Natalie at the Yarn Yard in this regard. Can anyone recommend any other dyers who take pains to produce non pooling colourways.

On the right is my first ever pair of socks knitted using the magic loop technique. I did enjoy trying something new and would use the technique again but have realised that I knit a lot more tightly on circulars than dpns for some reason so will go up a needles size next time. I think I still prefer dpns but I will have another few goes at magic loop just to check its not just a case of familiarity over adventure. The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill Supersock which knitted up as reliably as ever. We'll see how colourfast they turn out to be....


The next project fulfilled my desire for mindless stocking stitch as well as something on a slightly larger scale than all my small needle travel knitting. As you can see I've added considerably to my Manos Silk clapotis. It really is lovely yarn to knit with. This is probably my fourth or fifth clapotis but I wear the ones I have kept so often and find them such a relaxing mindless knit that I am likely to always have one on the needles somewhere. And dropping stitches on purpose still makes me feel just a little bit dirty...


Working away on simple projects has allowed my imagination to wander, however. Especially as I recently discovered this lovely book.


It really does have some beautiful afghan designs. I have to say that I love the one on the cover but I think it's a bit too challenging for a beginner like me so I have narrowed my choice down to a couple of the simpler ones that I like...

This one...

Or this one...
What do you think?

Finally, I just can't keep to a resolution for long. I read a thread on Ravelry about Stashbusting Spiral Socks and before I knew what I was doing I had joined the Knitalong.

Here is my yarn, three mini skeins from the Yarn Yard.

The observant amongst you will see that they are attached to something. All will be revealed in good time - all I can say at the moment is that I couldn't resist the temptation to make life just a little bit more complicated and with luck you may see an old friend looking quite different!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Your clapotis is gorgeous!! I knit one that was too small for my liking and have plans to knit another out of malabrigo. yum.

You can crochet any of those afghans your heart desires!

Mrs J said...

A drop of distilled vinegar in the water stops colour bleed! I found this out a couple of weeks ago (Thanks Samantha)and it really seems to do the trick! My cherry hill socks are soft but faded & fluffed!Nice knits!

Queen of the froggers said...

The socks came out well but, like you, I am not sure I like the Jitterbug pool. Clapotis is gorgeous, I have worn mine constantly too and am hoping that one day I will be able to spin enough yarn to make one. In the meantime I rather like the Manos ... !

squ said...

I like the stripy afghan more than the granny square-like one. But then I am very much into stripes so that is quite predictable ;o)

Squiblet said...

That last comment was me, Libby but I hit enter before I meant to. oops.