Monday, 7 April 2008

Just east of civilisation

It was with a heavy heart that I said goodbye to Leon at Traralgon station this morning. I have worked really hard during my stay but come back feeling so inspired and encouraged in my capability and creativity. I really do know how lucky I am. He also gave me this:

It is made from Australian cypress and is just beautiful. Its partner will follow in the post.

I couldn't stay downhearted for long as I settled into a comfortable hour and a half's uninterrupted knitting on the train to Dandenong - bliss. I love the unfamiliarity of the names of the stations I pass through like Warrugul and Nar Nar Goon, interspersed with strangely familiar place names like Trafalgar reminding me of the mixed and troubled heritage of the country I am so fond of.

Things looked up even more when I was swept up by Jan at the station and we were soon deep in catching up on two years of news, new grandson, new house, the time flew.

We spent the afternoon making up care packages to send to Timor Leste where Jan and Geoff have been working tirelessly to support the reconstruction of the community after its difficult history. I am now the proud owner of this beautiful piece of traditional Timorese woven fabric.
and these beautiful tortoiseshell knittingneedles which are of no use to the women they were donated for but well worth a donation from me.
Tomorrow we are going to meet other people involved in the campaign. Through my work I am involved in similar projects in Sierra Leone so it is a good opportunity to learn and share.

I'm now off to spend the evening indulging in more catching up - knitting in hand, obviously!

2 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

Lovely, say hello to the Dandenong trees for me, I love those tall trees.

Nikki said...

Sounds like a nice way to ease into civilization