Monday, 21 April 2008

Introducing Miss Mattie's Stashbuster Spirals

As I mentioned in my last post, despite my resolution to get some of my current work in progress off the needles, when I read on the Yarn Yard Group in the Ravelry forums that there was going to be a Knitalong for using a very nifty technique which takes several colours at once to make stripy socks in jogless spirals I had to get involved.

I decided that I would like to see what this technique looked like if I used a simple lace pattern so what better than the Horseshoe Lace pattern that I have well and truly memorised after designing the Cranford Mitts.

As you can see it gives a completely different look to the pattern and the matched decreases and yarn overs create a ripple effect which moves the stripes around rather prettily. I need to do a little more work on rejoining the yarn after the heel turn as there are a couple of areas where the spiral broke and for some reason I managed to reverse the colour repeat. I also think I need to go up a needle size as the lace pattern pulls the fabric in a little. Thank goodness for that second sock which gives me another chance to troubleshoot.


In other news I have been working on reconvening my little sock family so here are my current difficult and easy socks. The wishbone lace socks have been a lovely knit which I have really enjoyed. I'm sure I will be finishing them off later in the week. My completely mindless project started life as my demonstration sock for knitting socks on two circular needles but I got so fed up of having needle ends flapping around that I yanked one needle out and am now finishing it off using the magic loop technique. The yarn is Mountain Colours Bearfoot which I have to say feels absolutely gorgeous. It has a bit of mohair in it which makes it deliciously fuzzy and soft.


And finally, I have been busy at my spinning wheel and have been spinning up the March Yarn Yard Club Fibre. The colours are glorious but my favourite parts are where the red and yellow run into each other so I am breaking to fibre up into small colour runs so that there aren't any huge lengths of one colour. I'm hoping to get a kind of sunrise effect so we will see how it turns out!

11 comments:

sussexyorkie said...

Jane, your spiral socks are lovely. You have such patience.

natalie said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty.
I love the spirals, I've been wondering about using a heel flap heel on them so I'll be looking for hints and tips.
And the wishbones are so delicate... but just look at those bendy dpns!!! What kind are they?

n

RooKnits said...

Loving the spirals! They look so different to my plain cranford socks you'd never know they were the same pattern!

Mandella said...

The stashbuster spirals are really pretty, and I've come over all magpie at your spinning. I hope you get the effect you want, it seems a good plan.

Janine said...

Your spiral socks are absolutely lovely!

Queen of the froggers said...

You make such great socks! Love the spiral ones.

daisie said...

the spirals are lovely!!

and my most recent mindless socks were in mountain colours bearfoot too and I also kept marvelling at the softness and fuzziness. (but mine ended up a bit big, could have been that I cast on too many stitches and also it was first time using two circulars)

LittleBerry said...

love your version of the spirals :o)

your spinning looks great... now on my 1st bobbin I've tried to keep the colours completely seperate... not sure what my 2nd bobbin will look like... I love how we all have the same fibre but even spun as singles look different...

Anni said...

Loveall the socks but especially the lilac ones. Your spining is gorgeous too.

kaet said...

So pretty...

Bronchitkat said...

Those socks are beautiful.

Desperate for some slightly challenging knitting last night I sorted through my stash of leftover sock yarn, selected three toning colours & cast on.

If I hadn't also been watching TV (BBC 4's Medieval Season) I might have gotten on better, not to mention maintaining 20 stitches on each needle!

As 'twas, there I ended up with 18:17:20 after 3-4cm knitting. Not sure that the colours I chose aren't too close as well.

Ah well, frog on & choose again. I've plenty of pairs of colours I could use!