Sunday, 6 April 2008

Farewell to the rain forest

Today was my last day in the hills. Tomorrow I head to Melbourne to spend a couple of days with my friends Jan and Geoff to get myself acclimatised to the ways of city folk before I fly home on Wednesday. I just don't know where the time went.

Last night I was lying in my bed staring at the stars. That's another thing about this place, absolute darkness - no light pollution at all so on a clear night the number and brightness of the stars is breathtaking. I can now pick out the Southern Cross but still can't get used to the fact that all the familiar constellations are upside down! I just can't get used to seeing Orion standing on his head.

Today we got a couple of hours of brick heaving under our belts.
Then we got into our best bibs and tuckers on for a barbecue about an hour and a half's drive away. It was good sitting under the trees chatting to familiar people in such an unfamiliar landscape. Going down onto the flat meant another change of wildlife and the chance to add Noisy Miners and White Winged Choughs to my bird spotters list. Did I not tell you I was a closet twitcher?

We decided to take a detour on the way home.
and found a long disused fire watchers' tower in the middle of some dry lowland forest.
Leon showed me how to identify the type of eucalypts by their bark and the shape of the seed capsules. The trees are known as Messmates apparently.

Driving home along the dirt roads close to home we came across two Wedge Tailed Eagles dining on a wombat carcass in the middle of the road (it's the cycle of life). These truly are majestic birds. We had seen a pair earlier circling high above the fire tower but nothing prepares you for their size and power when encountered at close quarters.

Believe it or not I have squeezed knitting into the day - have finished the cuff on my second Noro sock so I will have something to get on with on the train tomorrow. Leon also agreed to model his hat.

Leon loves his hat.

And no, I haven't started packing yet...

2 comments:

Nikki said...

It sounds like such a wonderful trip. The kind that makes you truly exhausted and where it feels sooo good to sleep. If that makes any sense...

Queen of the froggers said...

Have a safe journey back. the eagles sound amazing.