Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Ear defenders, lumberjack gloves and a very big knife

...aren't what a girl usually packs in her holiday wardrobe but were de rigeur this morning for putting the remains of broccoli and cauliflower plants through the compost chipper. Nothing is wasted here.
No kitten heels and peep toes either...
But hand knitted socks are still essential.

At the other end of the scale, recipe books have been combed for new and exciting things to do with cauliflower and broccoli. Today we had a guest for lunch so I made Thai style cauliflower soup which even I had to admit was gorgeous and pasta with pesto and broccoli in the Ligurian style. Plates were cleared so I think they all approved. I love having time to cook for people and to have a huge kitchen garden to work with. Picking your own kaffir lime leaves just doesn't happen in east London!

It was a beautiful sunny day so after another couple of hours of garlic planting I allowed myself the well earned treat of settling down in a comfy chair in the garden gazebo with my Wishbone Lace socks and knitting for an hour with nothing but the sound of the birds and a view across the valley and up the wooded hillside watching wedge tailed eagles patrol the river below. I think this has to be my perfect holiday moment, the one where you are perfectly at peace and want to absorb so much of it you can get it out like a precious treasure to illuminate darker times. I feel incredibly privileged to have had this simple pleasure.

Progress has been made too on the garlic socks and the gardening hat. Tomorrow we are off to an industrial salvage yard to buy some bricks for the completion of a long overdue cellar cum fire refuge. This will involve those gloves again plus much scrambling over piles of used bricks for the best ones and hopefully not too much hammer and chisel work to remove used mortar. With luck I will be rewarded for my efforts by being turned loose in the local Op (charity) Shop for half an hour to hunt for bargains. I'm easy to please....

3 comments:

RooKnits said...

Jamie Oliver did a delicious looking cannelloni with broccoli and cauliflower in his latest TV Series.... it looked delicious - http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=201964&sid=e48609ac26a8ecf94741807a6a78b462

natalie said...

Do you think the Op Shop will have yarn.....

natalie

www.theyarnyard.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say nice site.